By Sporty45
I've seen several videos where the spray adhesive( DAP Landau contact adhesive) is sprayed on to both surfaces to be bonded and then the sprayed upholstery is immediately bonded to the other sprayed item, typically the scrim foam. Is this the way everyone does it? I was under the impression that contact adhesive need to tack up first before bonding. I'm at the point of needing to glue my materials together and want to make sure it's done right.
By LLeeT
I just go by the dry or maybe just a slight tacky, but not much.I guess if you wait to long you may have to spray just one of the pieces again. Anyway that is what works for me.
Sporty45 liked this
By Sporty45
One other question I have about spraying adhesive. DAP says no lower than 65 degrees for spraying. I'm working in my basement with no heat and it it's only about 50 degrees down there, even in summer. Have you guys ever sprayed it when it was that cold? Do I need to come up with a heater?
By BigRig
@Sporty45 , all I can say is I work in cold and my adhesive is thicker than in the summer and dry times are the same. You should be using non flammable adhesive. Where are you in the country?
By Sporty45
I'm in NH. I'm using this stuff, DAP Products Weldwood Landau Top & Trim HHR Solvent Type Spray Grade Contact Adhesive. My basement never gets above 50 degrees, even in the summer.
By TedP
I use 3M 77 and have been experimenting with applying a light coating of glue to just the surface on the foam and not the fabric. I had been applying a light coating of glue to both the foam & fabric, but saw on a video someone who applied it to just the foam. It works OK, as you get enough tack to hold the foam/fabric together while cutting & sewing, but use about half the amount of glue.

I've also seen videos where the adhesive was heavily applied to both surfaces, but that does not seem to be a good approach, since too much glue will make the foam stiff and not as pliable under the fabric. It also slows you down waiting longer for the glue to 'flash off' and may contribute to wrinkles in the finished work.

As for drying time . . . with a light coating of glue (sprayed) I find the drying time (really 'tack' time) is about 1 minute. then let the material sit for about 20 minutes before marking/cutting/sewing.
Sporty45 liked this
By Sporty45
My shop space is completely isolated from the furnace area, and all fumes from glue are vented outside. I did this more to keep the smell out of the rest of the house, but it turns out to have a side benefit too!

Still would like to know minimum temp for spraying my glue, though
Available Solana Nodes

I usually use one trusted resource that provides i[…]

The A. Leon Company was first established in 1909 […]

Newbie Pattern Question

Can you glue it on to a piece of cardboard or boat[…]

Boat project

Looks great!