Anything about sewing machines and the tools we use.
By BigRig
I am looking to put a Servo Motor on my Juki LU 563. I find this clutch motor too fast on this machine. I am looking at what is the best option for this machine.
By fibersport
I picked up a Consew CS-550, it's the one with the manual dial for max speed and brushes. I also installed a 45 mm pulley. I too wanted a slower start up speed and for the most part it's been pretty good. I think if I used it a little more, I would get better at starting up. I can get it to sew stitches so slow you could get a cup of coffee in between them, well I'm kidding but it has given me what I was looking for. My option was to go with a brushless motor. The benefit to a brushless is that you can get an add a needle positioner that will stop it with the needle either up or down, whichever you prefer. The downside is that if you install a smaller pulley, you loose the ability to install a needle positioner. It seems the brushless motor is gaining popularity but I figured I would hold off on that style until they are around for a few more years, I also saved about $100 by not getting the brushless model. One thing about the brushless, get one with 9 or 12 poles. This will give yo ua slower startup speed, the downside is that they tend to cost more. As for brands I would go with either Sailrite or Reliable Sewquiet, Sailrite is a little more but I hear they have great customer service. I still would like to compare the two side by side, maybe in a year or two.
By fibersport
You could also try a sped reducer, allow me to add more to my story. I had a cheap brand of servo motor but the startup speed was way too fast for me being a new sewer. I tried a smaller pulley but that wasn't good enough. I then built a speed reducer which helped a lot however it still didn't fix the high start up speed. If the motors' startup speed is 500 rpm, no matter what you do it's still going to be a big jolt from zero. A few people on another forum said and sent a video of their Consew servo motor with a small pulley at startup which is what sold me. I think the startup speed is about 150 rpm, a huge difference from my other motor. I would still like it to be a little slower but for now I think it'll work. I might add my speed reducer at some point just to try it but honestly I think you would be fine without a speed reducer, go with an analog servo motor and a small pulley or a digital servo motor and enjoy slower stitching. I bought my motor from here: https://www.tolindsewmach.com/ , talk to Bob - I am not affiliated with them nor do I get anything in return.
By LLeeT
My Salerite Fabricator and LSZ! both have servo motors and I really enjoy sewing with them. I would guess startup speed is about a stitch per second or maybe a tad slower.
By Adam12
Agreed, reliable, sewquiet, sailrite, consew all have good drives. If you do, i'd reccommed getting a brushless servo with needle positioner. Other than that you could swap for a small pulley and add a speed reducer to your clutch motor. It'll increase the punch as well as slow it down.
fibersport liked this
By Revv Up
I have had nothing but great service from them over the years, I deal with Mark and if you quote the number on my controller he will be able to match it with the motor, I’m sure it’s the finest China has to offer :grinning:
Adam12, Rhonda liked this
By TedP
I'm not sure you have to be too particular about which servo motor as it looks like many of them are pretty much the same . . . as long as you aren't going for the cheapest.

I added a 550 Watt servo motor to my Consew 206RB-4 and also did a pulley reduction by putting a smaller pulley on the motor and a larger on the machine. In totaI think I ended up with a 3:1 speed reduction from the standard set-up. One nice thing about doing a pulley speed reduction, is that you are also increasing the torque to the machine . . . So, you can sew at slow speeds when needed, and still be able to go through multiple layers of fabric with ease.
Newbie Pattern Question

If you use one of those large straight edges they […]

Boat project

Looks great!

When it comes to fine furniture store waterloo ,[…]

A knee lift is also REALLY nice :grin: