By ctmk2
So I’ve finally gotten some customer work out of the way and I’m taking some time to work on my own projects for a few weeks. I Just finished my cushions for the back of my 72 Westfalia and I’m moving on to the front seats.

I’m looking to make a modern comfortable seat with my stock frames, and use this as a learning experience to shape up my own foam. I’ve removed the old broken coil/zig zag springs and looking for ideas/opinions on how to build them back up.

I don’t have much room on the bottom for new springs before they compress under my weight and hit the floor, as the stock springs are 4” tall and I’m looking to replace that with foam….My initial thoughts are to sew a 80s Recaro style “blotter” as we used to call them, and build my foam on that surface….

However the backrest I could use some zig zag springs or perhaps ladder spring? Maybe zig zags back and bottom? I’m open to suggestions!

Any thoughts would be appreciated! I’m always interested in learning and seeing how someone else would skin the same cat!

Stripped Frame:

Recaro “Blotter” :

Initial thoughts on foam shape:
Some foam stolen from a Subaru I recently parted out for my 82 Vanagon project
Attachments
62283FE2-16C4-45D7-8AA7-7944F14EB9FB.jpeg
62283FE2-16C4-45D7-8AA7-7944F14EB9FB.jpeg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 559 times
By Mikesimpson
The "blotter" type setup you are thinking about will work well. You want there to be some give under your cushion foam. I have replaced the springs with plywood and sheet meatal before and it works well for some projects, but I think its much to stiff for something someone is going to drive. For the back rest I have used the heavy duty reinforced tarp material before. It has very little stretch and is also very strong.

With a vision to empower and inspire our customers[…]

First Project - Cube Stool

Sleek contemporary furniture combined with a neutr[…]

I agree it's usually not a problem but on occasion[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]