By Ddedman
Question for the experienced ones out there. Currently recovering some seats for a ford converting from OEM cloth to vynil. The inserts are fine and are tight because of the hook and loop that is present however everything else really doesn't have much to stretch and attached to other than the j clips to the seat frame. I'm not happy with the wrinkles on the light grey portions of the seat. Now I've read that some people will glue the vynil to the foam backing (in this case 1/4 inch) and some people swear you shouldn't glue. I'm thinking that gluing these might be the only option for getting rid of the wrinkles. Thoughts and insights are welcome.
By Mikesimpson
The light gray portions of the cover seem like they might be a little too big. Have you tried steaming it yet ?
By Sully
Looks like the cover is to big. Did you use the old (stretched out) cover for patterns? Also, is the stretch direction of you vinyl matched with the stretch direction of your sew foam? You could either move the J clips another 1/2 or so in, or put a layer of 1/2 foam over the existing foam to help fill it out.
dj2008gd, MalcolmM liked this
By Ddedman
Yes I used the old cover as pattern. I did pattern it a little smaller but not enough I guess. I figured with the added thickness of the foam and the small amount of pattern trim it would fill out better than it did. Farts.. :angry:
By Rhonda
sometimes you can get into trouble using old patterns , with experience you will start to learn to measure more accurately . keep up the good work!
By dj2008gd
Sully wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:13 pm Looks like the cover is to big. Did you use the old (stretched out) cover for patterns? Also, is the stretch direction of you vinyl matched with the stretch direction of your sew foam? You could either move the J clips another 1/2 or so in, or put a layer of 1/2 foam over the existing foam to help fill it out.
if you add a layer of foam to fill out ( compensating for a cover thats a bit too big), do you glue it directly to the seat cushion or do you glue it to the back of the sew foam that is already attached to the vinyl?
By Ddedman
I actually went back and repatterned it. I also found the sew foam was stretching the wrong way. Lesson learned.
MalcolmM liked this

I have mixed the bobbin colors a lot and it doesn'[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: