By Tired iron
Hi all,
Appreciate this forum and first question!
I've got a consew 226. I've been using it just fine, but I want to start sewing welting into my auto upholstery projects. I put a 3/16th welting foot assembly on and it'll sew 2 layers of vinyl fine, but when I put a pre-made plastic welting in and begin to sew (with the welt in the notch on the foot), it won't pick up the bobbin thread.
When I pull the welting out and just sew the 2 pieces of vinyl it's fine. Put welting back in, and no bobbin thread pick up!

Hoping someone can explain what I'm doing wrong . Thanks
By LLeeT
Are you using the proper Length needle? What size welting are you using? Could be the welting to big and your needle is not bottoming out because the foot will not get the proper downward travel. I normally use 5/32 cord inside for welting. Just guessing here. Perhaps someone else may have the right answer.
By Tired iron
Thanks for the response.

The needle is a 135x17, 18/110.

Do I need a different length needle if I put on a welting foot and sew welting?

The welting I'm using is pre-made, plastic 3/16".
By LLeeT
If that is the needle called for for your machine, it should be fine. I would try making some welting from scratch out of something else, just for an test to see if that changes things. Hopefully John or someone more experience
will chime in.
By sandmanred
I'd try a heavier needle, like a 20 or maybe even 21 or 22. The bigger needle will decrease sideways deflection which is one reason why it could drop stitches.
MalcolmM, LLeeT liked this
By MalcolmM
The length of a needle is fixed for a particular machine, but not the gauge of the needle. If the larger needle doesn't work try a diamond point leather needle to pierce the plastic.
By Tired iron
That all makes sense. I'll get some number 20s and hopefully that'll take care of it.

I've been trying to diagnosis it today and notice, with the bobbin cover off so I can watch and using the handheld, it does pick up the bobbin thread some times, so maybe when it's powered the needle is deflecting more.
We'll see!

Thanks for the help.
By Tired iron
Okay, here's the update...

I got some #20 needles, but it didn't solve the problem. But, here's a bit more info:

When I sew the plastic welting on top of one layer of vinyl, it's all good. BUT, when I then put a layer of vinyl on top of that (vinyl with welting), the bobbin thread is not picked up when I run the machine. If I roll the handwheel it is picked up, but not when I use the motor.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! And Merry Christmas to you all
By Sully
Sounds like the needle is being deflected slightly and the upper thread isn't picking up the bobbin thread. Looking at your image you're sewing right on the round or the piping, which will deflect your needle. I would loosen your upper and lower thread more, and back a bit away from the rounded edge.
By Tired iron
Deflection is my thought as well, given that it works when I go slow and not when I up the speed.

Regarding sewing close to the round, the welting foot is forcing that be the case. This is a 3/16ths welting foot. Would a larger welting foot move me further away from the round? And, am I supposed to sew further away?
Thanks all.
By Shaun8484
Any luck with a bigger welting foot? Did you go up any more in needle size? Newbie here and just trying to learn all I can!

Hallo people from the Lucky Needle upholstery foru[…]

I wonder how old this furniture is. I prefer the n[…]

Did you find a solution to the problem?

Interior led lights

not sure if they have what you need but try superb[…]