By Fred
First time upholstery project for me.

1961 Buick Lesabre

It's my daily driver and the seats finally started ripping...door cards were all bend and ruined.

I have already redone the dashed, rear parcel shelf and front and rear door cards. I did have to sew a corner (round flowing) on the rear cards. It's not perfect. 2nd one was better than the first.

But now I am onto the seats.

I do want to add bolsters, but these old seats are shaped by the springs, so they may be small bolsters. And I know I will need to sew...a lot...so that will be fun to learn. But I cannot find any listing wire. What is on the seats is 2.8mm paper wrapped. All I can find is 16 Gaige (1.6mm) paper wrapped. I assume I really need the 2.8mm? Also I am using marine vinyl for the material ... do a sew in a canvas channel for the listing wire or can I just wrap it around the vinyl? Thanks in advance.

Here is what I am starting with

Here's an example of what I would really like to do, but maybe slightly lower bolsters

Old door cards

New dash and door cards

By BigRig
That bolster seat is out of your league right now. I would take that Buick seat anyday! You can slide across it and get in and out no problems :wink:
By BigRig
That bolster seat is out of your league right now. I would take that Buick seat anyday! You can slide across it and get in and out no problems :wink:
By BigRig
@Fred, do not dispose of the paper welting(listing) you can reuse it and the diameter is not going to make a difference in this case if you get new.

I agree it's usually not a problem but on occasion[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: