I'm new at upholstery and could use some advice and pointers on an application. I have a 1974 Datsun 260Z and I've installed leather seat covers with little issues because the installation only required some stretching and hog rings. My next leather project are the door panels. I'm using a door covering from a UK supplier that sells on e-bay, J-F Customs. I've listed some of my hurdles and how I think I can address them.

1) The existing door panels are in fair to poor shape. The hardboard is warped from moisture damage, several of the door clip holes are torn out, and a previous owner cut holes for speakers. I plan on using new hardboard to patch the speaker hole and fill in any space between the hole and patch with caulk. The torn out door clip holes will be repaired with fiberglass. I've straightened and reinforced the warped areas with metal that I've glued in place.

2) The original vinyl door covering has some relief in the form of diagonal channels in its central portion (see attached photograph). The leather piece I purchased has this central portion stitched in contrasting red but since there is no foam attached, the leather is completely flat. I plan on gluing 1/4-inch fabric backed foam (scrim foam???) to the leather and then hand sewing what had been sewn already in red. I would then mark off the diagonal lines on the leather and sew them on a machine in black to blend in with the black leather but still provide a slight relief. Does this sound reasonable?

3) Installation of the leather with the foam onto the door card will be accomplished by removing the window sweep, after test fitting, spreading contact cement on the door card and fabric-backed foam that is sewn to the leather, and pressing it in place using a slip sheet to control the adhesion. I will wrap the leather around the edges and use 1/4-inch staples to secure the covering. Much of this procedure was taken from Sailrite's web site so I'm likely good here except I'm not sure the best way to install the window sweep back onto the metal door card top.
Please review the above and if you can offer any advice to a newbe, it would be greatly appreciated.
I would not reuse the door card an make a new one. Yes everything your considering doing is possible but honestly will probably be more work than if you had made it from scratch yourself. 1/4 scrim foam wont give you much depth for your pleats. when you glue the cover to the door card you can run the handle of you scissors along the pleat lines pressing it down and giving it a little more depth that way. Make sure you use quality scrim foam. The pink or green scrim is typically the best.
Ford F250 project

Hallo! Here some foto's of my ford f250 project! […]

are your relief cuts on the stitch side. not on […]

Available Solana Nodes

I usually use one trusted resource that provides i[…]

The A. Leon Company was first established in 1909 […]