The original headliner looks pretty good and the owner would like to keep it. However the windlace, at least that is what I think this is, is old, ripped up and needs to be replaced. I assumed the vehicle had tack strips holding the windlace in place and then the headliner was attached to it. Well, surprise, surprise that is not the case. It appears that there is a flexible metal strip that pinches the headliner material in place. It's like a U and the edge of the headliner material is pushed up inside and the opening of the U is then crimped to hold the tension. Under that are metal triangles that bend to hold in-place what appears to be 1/2" cardboard sewn to the the windlace that is then placed behind the metal triangles. That is what holds the windlace tight to the door frame. I started using a screw driver to bend back the metal holding pinched headliner in place.

1. Is it even possible to replace the windlace this way without damaging the headliner? I believe the interior was redone in the 1980's, but I'm not 100% sure.
2. What is the cardboard called that is sewn to the windlace? Any ideas where I can purchase it or what is a replacement I can use? If I was removing the headliner I'd replace with ABS strips..but it seems like doing what was originally done is the path to least resistance.
3. Is there a special tool that is used to bend what I'm calling the metal U that holds the headliner material. I'm guessing using a screwdriver is going to make the headline wavy on the edge.

Open to any and all feedback on this undertaking... Thank you in advance!
A lot of times those tabs break off and i usually ending up figuring out some other way of attaching it. That cardboard is called Card Board Tack Strip. https://www.albrightssupply.com/tack-strips-tacks
personally Id probably glue two sheets of chip board together and then cut out the strips needed.
Make sure to get you self a headliner tucking tool for that headliner. https://www.albrightssupply.com/headlin ... tool-v7709

I agree it's usually not a problem but on occasion[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: