So we've had this dining table for about 7 years now and we really love it. Attached leave that stores inside, very sturdy. We bought it second hand for a steal, $400. Being second hand, and us having it for 7 years, it's showing a bit of wear, but still very sturdy and functional. The top might need a refinish in the next 5 years give or take, but that's a project for another day.

Right now I'm planning on re-upholstering the chairs. As you can see in the pictures, the vinyl is long overdue for being replaced. I've put packing tape on it to hold it together while I figure out what to redo it with.

I'd like to re-upholster with leather, as I think it would be the sturdiest, last the longest, and look great. But replacing with vinyl is obviously much cheaper. I am lost in the world of different types of vinyl though. But that aside, it seems that I could purchase the vinyl needed for all 6 chairs and the bench for about $100-$200. Leather on the other hand, (shopping at https://www.leatherhidestore.com/) will be much more expensive. Probably $400-$500. I get this, but I guess my question is, will the price difference of the leather reflect in the durability of the chairs. If the leather is two to three times the price of vinyl, will we get two to three times the life out of it? I imagine this table lasting us for the next 20 years (with a possible refinish of the top), so I'd like to get my money's worth out of whatever material we use.

I don't mind refinishing them again down the road if it comes to that. But if I'm going to be refinishing vinyl in 5 years, but leather would last 10-12 years, then I think I'd rather pay the difference for the leather. Just wanted your thoughts on it.

Also if you have any advice or info on vinyl itself, what would be the best stuff, where to buy it, or if there are any new synthetic materials that might last us a long time. My wife does want to stick to something like vinyl or leather, not fabric, as she loves being able to clean them with just a wet rag, and they don't stain like fabric would.

Also curious about leather. We have two different ones we are considering. The one we like the most (color wise) is only about 1mm thick, and doesn't seem that sturdy. But there is one that we could settle for that is about 1.4mm thick, and seems like it would stand up to abuse a little better. Thoughts on that?

Thanks for any input you have. This is my first re-upholstering project, but it doesn't seem to be out of my league. Hoping I can end up with some good looking chairs in the end.

Here are a couple pics of the table and state of the chairs:
I did 8 dining chairs a while back that came new with what I call processed leather. They were 2 years old, used 4 times and looked very much like the ones you have shown. Customer ended up going with Allante vinyl. It really felt like leather. All I can say is if you decide on leather, make sure it is the real deal and not processed.
paqman liked this
LLeeT wrote:I did 8 dining chairs a while back that came new with what I call processed leather. They were 2 years old, used 4 times and looked very much like the ones you have shown. Customer ended up going with Allante vinyl. It really felt like leather. All I can say is if you decide on leather, make sure it is the real deal and not processed.
That's interesting. Yeah the site where I was considering purchasing from looked like all their leather was the real stuff, sold by the hide, so you really could only get like 4 seats out of a full hide. was gonna be pretty pricey. But I will admit, I don't know much when it comes to leather. Here is the link to one of the ones we were considering: https://www.leatherhidestore.com/french ... -hide.html

That Allante vinyl does seem intriguing. I may have to order some samples. 250k double rub test, seems very sturdy. Thanks for pointing me to that. I'll definitely order some samples of that.
Great Fabric i have found is from Charolettes Fabrics you have to become a dealer and prove you have a business , which i had no issue with they send you sample books large variety of vinyl for upholstery and have new for indoor / outdoor use marine, automotive .
For a dinning room, that is used and not a show piece you would be better off in the long run with vinyl, given the easy cleaning requirement.

If the dinning room is rarely used then leather would look nicer, however, leather comes in numerous levels of quality, some are easy to clean others are not.

A pigmented leather can be cleaned, but an aniline leather can not in general. However, it is legal to call leather dust leather, similar to particle board being called wood. Leather dust is mostly resin, and the resin breaks down much quicker that actual leather or vinyl.
MalcolmM liked this
Unfortunately there is a lot of "leather" on the market that is crap. Unless you have a reliable supplier and spend a lot, vinyl is the way to go today. A high quality vinyl is a good choice for seating and comes in a wide variety of colors and leather textures. I found a "breathable" PU leather substitute which is poly urethane leather. Worth getting a swatch to see if you like it.

https://www.discounteddesignerfabrics.c ... x-leather/
So I got my Allante sample book in and we really like it, so I think we'll probably go with it. One more question, the site I'm ordering it from also sells foam slabs. I'm not sure the best thickness or type of foam to buy. Any suggestions for the best foam?
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: