By Wes Maulding
Hi. I have a set of dining room chairs that I'm seeking advise/tips how to upholster the backs. The current backs are a 1/8" bending plywood, covered with foam batting that is attached to the chair using brads. I see the backs cover the screws that are used to attach the front upholstery, that is stretched over a thicker foam and the same 1/8" bendable plywood. My goal is to re-upholster these chairs with vinyl.

Pictures of the back and side are attached... I hope this provides enough information, if not, pls let me know.

Thanks!
Attachments
side view
side view
tempImageeFTR9f.gif (5.88 MiB) Viewed 1806 times
seat back
seat back
tempImage3EWG4F.gif (6.42 MiB) Viewed 1806 times
By Wes Maulding
Are the brad nails through shot through the fabric and that is why you cant attach it the original way if you use vinyl?
Yes, originally the fabric was pulled away from the edge and brads were shot to hold the back in place. The new fabric will be off-white vinyl, and any holes will be quite noticeable. This is why I'm interested in a better way to apply the fabric to chair backs.
By John
Ok cool, I under stand now. I'm not an super expert on furniture, however I'm thinking stapling 2" Velcro to the panels and attaching them together that way would probably be a good option.
By MalcolmM
I can't see how the front is fastened but in residential upholstery the seat back is either covered with double welting to hide staples or it's applied from the front so the staples don't show and the welting is on the front. Use jute webbing to keep the back firm so you don't tear through the fabric.
John liked this
By Wes Maulding
I'm thinking stapling 2" Velcro to the panels and attaching them together that way would probably be a good option.
Great suggestion John. I've been wondering about using velcro and if it would have enough holding power for this application. This may be the most straight forward solution. :thumbsup:

I can't see how the front is fastened but in residential upholstery the seat back is either covered with double welting to hide staples or it's applied from the front so the staples don't show and the welting is on the front. Use jute webbing to keep the back firm so you don't tear through the fabric.
The chair back is plywood that allows the front (1" foam/dacron applied over a thin bendable plywood backing) to be attached with screws from the backside. Then the back is applied to cover up these screws that attach the front. Using welting to cover up staples makes sense. Can you elaborate on the suggestion for jute webbing... I'm not clear where/how it would be used for this application. Thanks!
By MalcolmM
If there was not a plywood insert with foam, a open style seat back would need support so the fabric would not eventually rip. Jute webbing is stretched and nailed inside the back then covered both sides. You can make the double welting cord with a double cording foot quite easily, plenty of online tutorials how to use it. Hot glue or pin nail the cord to cover the staples. Have you disassembled a seat yet? They got it together one way and you can usually do the same or better.
John liked this
Available Solana Nodes

Do you know where I can find available Solana node[…]

Newbie Pattern Question

If you use one of those large straight edges they […]

Boat project

Looks great!

When it comes to fine furniture store waterloo ,[…]