By DavidBraley
Hello Everyone!

I’m in the setting-up phase of my attempt to try my hand at some automotive interior work. This will all be for my own projects. I’m not a business, so being super efficient in my work space is not important. What I would like to do is get some opinions from the group about the table size they use for their industrial walking foot machines.

What table size do you use, and are you happy with it? And if not, is there a table size you feel would be better?

If it helps, I also plan to make at least two more movable tables of the same height that can be used to expand the work surface area. These tables can be slid into place. I’m thinking an extra table in front of the machine, and a second one positioned to the left side of the machine. I also plan to used these extra tables for a material cutting surface. My space isn’t super large, so I always plan for things to be multiple-use if possible.

The machine I own is a Consew 206RB-5. When I purchased the machine, I also got a selection of needles, some extra feet, and bobbins. I also bought a servo motor/drive and plan to use a much smaller pulley on the servo to slow things down a lot. I’ve read this is a smart move for the beginner like me. I also bought a set of really nice table legs that can be adjusted in height, and has the speed peddle. What I don’t have is the actual table top the machine sits into.

I have a bunch of North Western Maple left over from a large cabinet project I did a few years ago. I’m thinking this would be a great material to make a butcher block style top for the machine. With a couple coats of clear Varathane, I think the top would look nice too.

In my research, I found the most common size table top is 20” deep, by 48” wide, by 1 ¾” thick. There are also tables you can buy that are 20” x 52”, 24” x 48”, and even 36” x 60”. They all seem to be 1 ¾” thick. I can make this top any size. I don’t even need to use the steel legs I got. I can fab up whatever is needed.

Your thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated!

David
By Mtl_Biker
Great machine you've got there, David. I've got the same one! :) And it was my first industrial machine and it remains my most useful and favorite.

i find it surprising that you didn't get a table with your machine. Your question about table size is something I haven't really thought about, since most industrial machine tables for walking foot flatbed machines are pretty much the same. Of course you need a work table besides the table the machine sits in, for laying things out, cutting and measuring, etc.

Did you get your machine used? Do you have the foot pedal, and linkage, etc. for hooking it all up? It's not just a table and legs that's needed. If you got your machine new, what was the rationale for not getting the table with it? Sounds like you only bought the machine head (and servo as you said). You must be fairly handy with wood working if you plan to make a table with the proper cutout for the machine and hook up the foot control too. For me I really can't imagine buying that machine without the table it's supposed to have.

Yes, the servo motor is a good idea, as is the smaller motor pulley. Even then it'll take some practice and gentle foot operation to be able to control the stitching (at least it did for me). I have another machine with speed reducer and that's even better, but now that I'm used to my Consew with smaller pulley, I'm not going to go through the expense and effort to add one. If I need to stitch slower than my foot and servo and smaller pulley goes, I just hand crank away. And that's not too often.

Best of luck!
By DavidBraley
Thanks Mtl_Biker,

I purchased the machine new in the box, and just the head. The machine came with the knee lift arm, some tools, oil, bobbins, and a bunch of documentation. I have since learned it was a mistake to get it without the table. At least I got the type and brand of machine right! LOL!

I got a super deal on the leg set I purchased. It's a very heavy duty set specifically for an industrial sewing machine. It has the speed pedal with the linkages. Just missing the top.

If it helps, I did an introduction post here: Hello from Colorado!

Making things is sort of my thing. I even built the small and modest home that my beautiful wife and I live in. All by myself. Zero sub-contractors. I hadn't even built a garden shed before I attempted that project! My friends would stop by and say, "When is this thing going to be done!" I would reply, "I have no idea what I'm doing! I can't tell you when it will be done!"

I can say being a machinist did not help me one bit. I spent WAY too much time making things more exact than they needed to be. I still had a lot of fun though, and I learned a LOT! My most favorite thing in the world to do is to learn something new!

What size table do you use?

David
By sandmanred
If you are machinist I also make a larger pulley to on the machine. I run 5-6 inch diameter on all my machine with a 45 mm pulley on the servo motor. The servo drives I have the minimum speed is 200 rpm. It's on or off at that speed, there's no modulating below it. So with my pulley arrangement I get about 1 stitch per second at the lowest speed which suits me fine as a beginner.
TedP liked this
By LLeeT
I use two machines that sort of share the same space. The smaller machine has an area that is 37x 62. The larger one has an area that is 44x66. My cutting table is 48x96. I sometime use my pool table for laying out patterns. Largest single panel that I had to tuck and roll was 48 wide x39 long. So lots of area sometimes makes thing a bit easier.
I have a small lathe and mill that use a lot. Usually I can buy things a lot less money than time it takes to make it, but its fun.
Lee
By sandmanred
@DavidBraley I have 3 machines in 20x48 tables lined up end to end against a long wall. I've done mostly smaller things like motorcycle seats or jeans, I've only handled a few larger items. On bigger items I will have to re-arrange machines. I think your idea to have at least movable tables to add on when needed is a good idea.

That speed reducers actually worked pretty good. I still regret selling that machine.

It also helps to oil the cork on the clutch, it improves slow speed control without limiting full speed when needed. Just don't oil the brake side of the assembly.
By Mtl_Biker
DavidBraley wrote:Thanks Mtl_Biker,

I purchased the machine new in the box, and just the head. The machine came with the knee lift arm, some tools, oil, bobbins, and a bunch of documentation. I have since learned it was a mistake to get it without the table. At least I got the type and brand of machine right! LOL!

I got a super deal on the leg set I purchased. It's a very heavy duty set specifically for an industrial sewing machine. It has the speed pedal with the linkages. Just missing the top.

If it helps, I did an introduction post here: Hello from Colorado!

Making things is sort of my thing. I even built the small and modest home that my beautiful wife and I live in. All by myself. Zero sub-contractors. I hadn't even built a garden shed before I attempted that project! My friends would stop by and say, "When is this thing going to be done!" I would reply, "I have no idea what I'm doing! I can't tell you when it will be done!"

I can say being a machinist did not help me one bit. I spent WAY too much time making things more exact than they needed to be. I still had a lot of fun though, and I learned a LOT! My most favorite thing in the world to do is to learn something new!

What size table do you use?

David

I use the standard table that came with my 206RB-5... it's 20" x 48" and I've never felt the need for larger or smaller. Sometimes it helps if you have another table that you can butt up against the back edge for really large pieces, but in my case, I only have a small space behind the machine so I let my assembly slip down on the back if it's large. Stiffer things can be a challenge sometimes.

I don't know what's included when you buy just the "head" of the machine... Besides what you mentioned getting, do you have the oil pan that goes under the machine and is usually part of the table? The thread winder? The hinge pieces that go into the table?

Maybe it's still possible for you to buy a genuine table from your supplier? Even if you're an outstanding machinist and carpenter, I doubt it's cost effective to make your own table. Not to mention the time it takes to do so. You could be sewing! :)

Good luck and let us know how it's going!
By DavidBraley
Mtl_Biker,

Everything you say makes perfect sense and you are correct about it being better to purchase a new table. The machine did come with the oil pan and thread winder. All I'm missing is the top for the leg set I already have here.

I recently found on another forum the dimensions for the cut-out opening needed for the table top. I was hoping to share it here, but I've discovered something that I don't seem to be able to solve. On this forum, I am unable to upload images. It's frustrating, because I can share images on the almost dozen other online communities I participate in, but not this one.

There must be something odd about how my desktop system is configured. I will keep trying to figure it out, and when I do, I will start a new thread about the table top build, and share the opening dimensions needed for the 206RB-5.

Take care all!

David
By Mtl_Biker
@DavidBraley - David, a couple of tips...

First, if you use the at sign "@" and start typing a member's name, you'll be able to select the name you want. And that way, the person will be notified that there is a reply/message for them. I only saw this from you because I was checking the thread.

Second, when you try to upload an image, are you getting any kind of error message? A common problem is that the image size is too large for posting here. You should reduce the image size before trying to upload. Alternatively you might host the image elsewhere (I use SmugMug) and then link to it in your message, or insert it by using img tags.

Good luck with the table construction!
By John
I have been working on a 4'x8' table for years now. When I get my new shop built I want two 4x8 tables so that I can have the options of having 4x16' or 8x8'

Big thing is build your tables to a comfortable height for you to work at and then raise your machine to that height. The table I have now I built to my machine height and later on realized its too low and hurts my back when Im working on it all day.
MalcolmM liked this
By DavidBraley
@John,

That sir is good advice. I know first hand what working at a bench for long days can do to a back. Seems the older I get, the harder it gets.

I will make sure the sewing machine table height matches the benches I'll build. I will also make sure the height of the machine is still comfortable while sitting at it.

Thank you!

David
John liked this
By John
Glad that helps! Also if the machine height isn't comfortable at your work table height, I have seen guys build a raised platform for the sewing machine to remedy that issue without compromising comfortable work table height.
By MalcolmM
I have two folding tables lashed together on bed risers, together they are 60" x 72" which is perfect for rolling out two yards of fabric for layout and cutting. If I want my dining area back they fold up and tuck away in my work room. I found tables which fold in half also, so are smaller when folded. I had a few smaller tables but they were useless for me, I use one for an out-feed table on my sewing machine to help support larger work. If I had a larger space and didn't need to take down the tables I would build the sewing machine into one as well to support larger work. The bed risers really helped and were cheap on Amazon, simple plastic but support a lot of weight. I'm 6'1" so having taller tables was important. I also positioned my tables so I can walk around them 360 deg. Makes cutting out patterns simple as I can reach past the half way point with my rotary cutter or shears.
John liked this
By DavidBraley
Well, well, it seems I'm able to upload images to the site now. I have no idea why I couldn't upload any images to the site before.

Below is the table top cut-out dimensions for the Consew 206RB-5. I downloaded it from another forum. I hope this helps others trying to make their own table like I am!

MalcolmM, John liked this
Newbie Pattern Question

Can you glue it on to a piece of cardboard or boat[…]

Available Solana Nodes

Do you know where I can find available Solana node[…]

Boat project

Looks great!

When it comes to fine furniture store waterloo ,[…]