Anything about sewing machines and the tools we use.
By lthayer@seidata.com
I have a Juki 1508 and after almost completing my seats, it has decided to not feed the leather. The foot and the feed dogs move, but the leather bunches up under the foot. Any thoughts on what to look for?
By LLeeT
I don't have a Juki, but I have had that happen. It turned out to be the bobbin thread had gotten caught up and not feeding.
Adam12, John liked this
By Adam12
Check to see that the feet are walking equally. Turn your hand wheel until the inner foot raises to it's highest point and measure the height from the bed. Then turn the wheel until the outside foot reaches its highest point. The measurements need to be the same. If they are not we can go from there, easy fix. If all or most of the lift is being given to the inner foot will cause this issue. Not the only cause but i think likely
John liked this
By John
Did any thing happen before this started. Did you break a needle, get thread jammed up or sew some thing really thick? One additional quick thing you should check is if the safety clutch got popped open. I always check this first when a major issue like this happens suddenly. Not sure how to check it on a 1508 but the manual will show you. Typically there is a button on the bed of the machine you push while turning the machine backwards by hand.
By lthayer@seidata.com
Adam12 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:40 am Check to see that the feet are walking equally. Turn your hand wheel until the inner foot raises to it's highest point and measure the height from the bed. Then turn the wheel until the outside foot reaches its highest point. The measurements need to be the same. If they are not we can go from there, easy fix. If all or most of the lift is being given to the inner foot will cause this issue. Not the only cause but i think likely
The out side foot is not moving at all. It did make a clicking sound, before it stopped working
By lthayer@seidata.com
John wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:34 pm Did any thing happen before this started. Did you break a needle, get thread jammed up or sew some thing really thick? One additional quick thing you should check is if the safety clutch got popped open. I always check this first when a major issue like this happens suddenly. Not sure how to check it on a 1508 but the manual will show you. Typically there is a button on the bed of the machine you push while turning the machine backwards by hand.
I was sewing leather with 1/2" foam together, and it worked well, then all of a sudden decided not to. I did hear a clicking noise a couple of times, then it quit making the noise and continued to work for awhile. The book says to hold the button down, turn the wheel backwards, until the wheel clicks. I held the button down and turned backwards, then it stops turning and the button stays down, until I roll it forward. Still not working, the outside foot is not raising.
By Adam12
Start with the feet in the down position and back off the foot pressure. Measure the height of the inner foot at it's highest position. The feet operate inversely from eachother, so let's say you get 8mm. You need to give 4mm to the other foot to even them out. In the back of the machine, you should have an adjustment shown here.
Where the arrow is pointing, you will see either a hex bolt or allen bolt. Loosen this bolt and pivot the cam (circled) until you achieve closer to 4mm height, then tighten the bolt. Once tightened, cycle by hand and compare the heights of each foot. You will not get it just right the first time, most likely have to do it several times to get it right where you want it. And as stated, they should be as close to equal as reasonably achievable. Hope i'm making sense.
By LLeeT
Curious as to what you found the problem to be. I always like to know what folks found with their problems.
John liked this
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: