General discussions about our craft and industry.
By Rug Dr.
I bought a yard of their "OTTERTEX® SOLUTION-DYED ACRYLIC WATERPROOF FABRIC."
https://www.fabricwholesaledirect.com/p ... 1502582899

I bought it to test it, to see if indeed it was water proof. I stretched over a 5 gallon bucket and put a few cups of water in it. It didn't take long before I could hear the water hitting the bottom of the bucket, maybe 5 minutes no more than that. it is soft and not as rigid as coastguard or Sunbrella. I did the same test with Sunbrella, after 10 minutes there no water coming through. Might be good for personal use, but I wouldn't make anything that's going to be sitting outside. Fade resistance, I don't know yet, water proof it is not.
Adam12 liked this
By Mtl_Biker
What's the Sunbrella you use that's so waterproof? I've just started working with Sunbrella fabric and the challenge I'm facing is figuring out what type of Sunbrella I have. I'm in Montreal Canada and the only two local sources I've found for Sunbrella do not list the specs on the fabric. It seems they buy whatever they can get a good deal on. So far I've found three different types of Sunbrella, which I'll call thin, thicker and thickest. :) My use for this fabric is making bags, tote bags to women's handbags. And the fabric doesn't seem at all water proof. Water resistant maybe, but not waterproof. For waterproof fabric, I'd imagine something like Cordura with a coating on the back. Is your Sunbrella like that?

Very hard to figure Sunbrella out if you can't get the specs.

One of the local stores (Fabricville) lists (better?) varieties of Sunbrella on their website than they carry in the stores... but for the high price I'm reluctant to order any without actually having seen and touched it. Currently they list "Sunbrella Awnings and Marines" on a 50% sale for $63.49 / meter (regularly $126.99). I find that awfully expensive (at least for the use I have in mind).

Any tips?
By John
Good to know @Rug Dr. Thanks!

@Mtl_Biker I have a feeling your suppliers aren't being honest about what they are selling you or they are being mislead by who ever is supplying their fabric. There are 100 knock off brands of sunbrella all advertising to be just as good but they are not.

Real sunbrella is very water proof when its new. I have used it a lot and have done many tests with it. Once sewed a small bag and filled it with water let it sit for hours and the seams didn't even leak. Here in the US real sunbrella costs around $18-25 per yard. $63 is wayyyyy over priced.
By Mtl_Biker
@John - The Fabricville stores I mentioned are a large change here in Eastern Canada, and on their website when they list Sunbrella, they list several different ones... Awning, Marine, Furniture, etc. And I'm SURE it is genuine Sunbrella fabric. In their stores as opposed to their website, they have Sunbrella but there's no telling what the type of Sunbrella it is, nor can you get specs. And those are cheaper. You say $63.49 / meter is wayyyy over priced... don't forget, that price is 50% less than their regular price!! :) Here's a link to their page: https://fabricville.com/pages/search-re ... lla+fabric

It's pretty clear there are many different versions/types of Sunbrella fabric. What's the name of the one you used that's so waterproof? Is there a Sunbrella fabric that you'd consider using for a tote bag or purse? Waterproof isn't needed, but non-shrink, water-repellant, stain resistant, strength, etc. would be.

I'll tell you why I started looking into Sunbrella... I'd been making cat toys (small pouches really) filled with catnip and everything I tried in terms of fabric ended up being torn to shreds within a week. (Little savages!) I needed something more rugged, but that would also allow the scent of the catnip to be detected, so that ruled out things like Cordura with the waterproof coating on the inside. On a Reddit forum someone suggested the best thing to try was Sunbrella. So I ended up with a bit of it that did not have a waterproof coating on the back and it worked extremely well. Then I started using it in some tote bags I was making. It's great, but I have no idea which Sunbrella it is. But I certainly didn't pay tons for it. I got some at a local Fabricville store on sale for about $20 per meter. Then I found another source with some (again, unknown model) for as low as $11 per meter.

But that's the extent of my experience and knowledge about Sunbrella. Here's one of the bags I just made with this Sunbrella...
MalcolmM liked this
By Mtl_Biker
Duh... large CHAIN, not large change! :)
By Rug Dr.
Do you have any Coastguard awning and marine fabric up there?? You might want to check ebay, look for the real stuff not the wanna be junk.
By Jim
Are there others out there that have used material from fabric wholesale direct? If so, what are your experiences? 🍻
Jim
By Adam12
Look at trivantage for sunbrella, they are affiliated with glen raven and can tell you everything you ever wanted to know about it. Recacril is just as good in my opinion and i order it from Ennis Fabrics, they are in Canada. They are both solution dyed acrylic, water proof for a period of time but it wears off. They have a fluorocarbon coating on them (can't see it but it's there), not sure how healthy it is to ingest. Perhaps the patio furniture material from sunbrella doesn't have it...trivantage will know, go straight to the horse's mouth.
By Mtl_Biker
Adam12 wrote:Look at trivantage for sunbrella, they are affiliated with glen raven and can tell you everything you ever wanted to know about it. Recacril is just as good in my opinion and i order it from Ennis Fabrics, they are in Canada. They are both solution dyed acrylic, water proof for a period of time but it wears off. They have a fluorocarbon coating on them (can't see it but it's there), not sure how healthy it is to ingest. Perhaps the patio furniture material from sunbrella doesn't have it...trivantage will know, go straight to the horse's mouth.
@Adam12,
Adam12 wrote:Look at trivantage for sunbrella, they are affiliated with glen raven and can tell you everything you ever wanted to know about it. Recacril is just as good in my opinion and i order it from Ennis Fabrics, they are in Canada. They are both solution dyed acrylic, water proof for a period of time but it wears off. They have a fluorocarbon coating on them (can't see it but it's there), not sure how healthy it is to ingest. Perhaps the patio furniture material from sunbrella doesn't have it...trivantage will know, go straight to the horse's mouth.

Great! Thanks for that info. Ennis Fabrics? I hadn't heard of them before. But it seems that without a "business account" with them, you can't buy or get prices. SIGH My business is an art gallery and picture framing company... nothing to do with sewing, so I'm going to check but may not be able to deal with them.
Adam12 liked this
By John
@Mtl_Biker It was just the regular sunbrella fabric meant for awnings. It has always been very water proof for me. In sunbrella's marine/awning line there are 3 types. Sunbrella , Sunbrella Plus, Sunbrella supreme. I have only used the regular basic sunbrella and never had any issues. I actually have not seen a supplier that stocks the plus and supreme. That's usually a special order. There is also a furniture line of sunbrella that is softer and less water proof. That may be what wasn't water proof for you.

That is a beautiful job on that hand bag!!! As for fabric recommendations for hand bags I would think you can use anything you like. Leather, Vinyl, Canvas ect.

Also most suppliers make it really easy to get an account and account. If you have a business license or resale certificate that is usually enough. If they ask just tell them some of your frames are wrapped in various fabrics.
Mtl_Biker liked this
By Mtl_Biker
@John - Thanks for the reply. Even though shipping is really expensive, I ordered a couple of Sunbrella sample books from Sailrite yesterday. I should receive them sometime this coming week.

I do make bags also, but the one I showed above is just a tote bag with recessed top zipper closure. The good thing about using Sunbrella for that is the bag can be washed without everything shrinking out of shape as it does with canvas. And since these totes are often used for groceries (here in this part of Canada, plastic bags are OUTLAWED and you must bring your own bag to the store) they often get dirty from leaking meat packages, etc. and they really must be washed.

Here's another of the bags I've been making, using faux leather and heavy waxed canvas (pockets, including zippered, on the inside)...
MalcolmM liked this
By Rug Dr.
Are there any local sellers on EBAY in Canada?

The thing that I don't like about wholesale direct is the material comes folded. I guess that helps them ship free for orders over $75.00.
By MalcolmM
Cordura HP is another option, it's an acrylic fabric so UV resistant and has a PU coating on the back. It's designed for bags and luggage whereas sunbrella is for awnings, the HP may have more abrasion resistance.
By Mtl_Biker
@MalcolmM - That Cordura HP sounds interesting, but I haven't been able to find a source for it in Canada. None of my regular suppliers have it (only 500 and 1000D of the coated stuff) and even a Google search didn't come up with a Canadian source. And to order a small quantity to test from the US is just prohibitively expensive. I do buy some fabrics from the States, but only in quantities that justify the shipping (and duties and taxes) costs. At least I can get some Sunbrella here and so far it's working out really well.
MalcolmM liked this

are your relief cuts on the stitch side. not on […]

Available Solana Nodes

I usually use one trusted resource that provides i[…]

The A. Leon Company was first established in 1909 […]

Newbie Pattern Question

Can you glue it on to a piece of cardboard or boat[…]