Anything about sewing machines and the tools we use.
By Mikesimpson
Has anyone used the foam saw that Sailrite sells called the blade? I have been thinking about buying one, but there seems to be mixed reviews on them from what I have found. Ideally I would like to have a Bosch, but the ones that are out there seem to sell for quite a bit of money. This one seems like a decent alternative.
By John
I have never used it so my opinion may not be valid here. I dont really like anything sailrite sells. Its all over priced knock offs from china with the sailrite sticker slapped on it backed with a lot of money spent on marketing their tools as professional quality. Just to be clear I have no issues with knock offs from china if they are priced right. I love Harbor Freight.

I guess it depends how often you cut foam. If your cutting foam every day I would shell out the money for a Bosch. I have used those and they are awesome.
If you just occasionally cutting foam I would consider sticking with a cheep electric carving knife from Walmart.
On the other hand the videos look like the sailrite saw does a good job so maybe its worth it.
souperdoo, 6inarow liked this
By Mikesimpson
Thanks @John, I won't be using it all the time, I have a bandsaw to do the majority of my cutting. But when I make the shaped foam for bench seats I cut the pieces out of 6" slab foam and its really hard to feed through the saw until I have it all cut down to more manageable sized pieces. I have been using a electric knife but its not a big fan of cutting through the 6" foam. The sailrite saw is the cheapest double blade saw that I have been able to find. I may just end up giving it a shot and let you guys know how it works.
John liked this
By John
Oh yeah 6" foam is too big for an electric knife. If you end up trying it let us know what you think.
By John Long
When I cut foam for a seat, I also cut it with a metal cutting band saw with a fine tooth blade. In order to cut it into manageable pieces I have used a plain 14” hack saw blade. I can quickly cut the slab of foam into blocks that will go through the throat of the band saw for final cutting.

John

Mikesimpson, 6inarow liked this
By DEH
I bought one a year ago and it seems to work fine. Probably not something you would use in a production environment but fine for me. I use my bandsaw for the bulk of my work.
Mikesimpson liked this
By Kuph
Alchemy kustoms has a great foam cutting video on YouTube with the band saw. Highly recommended.

Anyone have recommendations on replacement blades for the bosh cutters. I ordered a set on eBay and they seem to have a tight fit causing a good amount of friction in the housing making the machine get extremely hot.
John liked this
By Mikesimpson
@Kuph from everything I have been reading it seems to be pretty critical that you spray a small amount of silicone lubricant between and on the blades.
John liked this
By John
@Kuph were the eBay blades genuine Bosh? If not I would purchase genuine bosh blades to avoid damaging the the motor.
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: