Hey, all,

I need to reupholster my office chair. After almost 20 years, the foam is shot. I suspect I'll need some pretty high-density foam for this, since the foam layer is pretty thin, and the chair takes a lot of abuse.

Does anyone have a good source for foam for this? Thank you in advance.
BigRig, thanks for your reply. Never heard of steaming foam, but I'm new to all of this, and I'll google it. I'm in Virginia.

I am going to need some high-density (or higher-ILD) foam for a bench seat in my boat, though. I had a local fellow re-upholster it a few years back, and he replaced the original foam with much lower-density foam and now it beats you to death underway unless you sit on a throwable cushion.

Are there any good sources out there with decent prices? The prices and specs I find online seem to be all over the map. A lot of them don't spec the ILD figure or even the lb/cu ft number...very confusing.

Thanks again.
@Blucher,

You have already done some foam research. Save a lot of hassle and just order from Albright ask for the high density blue foam and you will have that bench seat covered. A 3" thickness is more than comfortable.
I re did this office chair a couple of years ago for my Dad. The padding that was in it originally was just the crappy Polly stuffing and it had definitely seen better days. I replaced it all with 1” high density foam and then another 1” of foam in the areas that you see the tan vinyl. Gives it a little more bolstered look. I used 2.5 density 50 ILD foam. DLT supply or Albrights are good places to get it. The foam is a little stiff at first but breaks in to be very comfortable. Depending on how much foam you are going to be buying, I use a place out of Indiana called US Foam. They have very good prices on slab foam and if you order $100 worth it ships free.
John, Larry in OK liked this
https://usfoamcorporation.com/upholstery-foam this is where I have been getting my slab foam. They are basically a foam distributor. The web site sucks and you either have to call or email them to order. But the foam is nice. After looking at the site again I realized that I'm using the 2.2 density foam in a 50 pound compression for bottom cushions and a 35 pound for backrests. They sent me some of their 2.7 density by mistake, and even though it is a greater density I found it to compress much easier than the 2.2 density. After some phone calls back and fourth I found out the 2.7 is better "quality", but the materials the two different density's are made from are not the same and it makes them feel quite a bit different. The 2.7 would bottom out when I sat in it and the 2.2 didn't. Both where 50 compression. So long story short I prefer the 2.2 density for automotive seating where firmness is desired. The company will send you a sample pack of all of their upholstery foam upon request.
John liked this
@BigRig I have been buying them in 24"x80"x6". They sell them in longer and wider sections also, and thickness from 1/2"-6". If you shoot them and email they will send you a price list for everything they sell. I haven't found anyone that beats them yet.
John liked this
Hi Blucher,

Are you currently in Virginia? Check out this site.com. They are in the foam business and recommend recliners in Virginia. I recommend asking for 2.6 density of foam from them. I tried using 2.2 density foam, but it quickly shredded. They can send you samples and guide you if you contact them on their contact page. Make sure that the foam can withstand compression and weight.
John liked this

I don’t think the bobbin color matters as mu[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: