By Stiffchick
Hi again! Well, I'm always putting the cart before the horse, I love shopping, and have a huge fabric stash. But I like to be prepared for when inspiration strikes lol.
2 questions;
How many sqft of leather should I buy to redo my truck seats? It's a Dodge Ram 2500 with a split bench style seat (see photo)

Anyone ever use Uncle George Discount leather? He has some great prices on auto upholstery grade leather. Just curious if anyone knows of a down side to his auto stuff? I have bought non auto grade goat hides from him for purses and such and loved the feel of them.

Photos of my truck, it's a little embarrassing (im.not that material, but, this is a little bad, the dash is old gas grill parts)
When I finally have time, and can rip this apart while it's not being used, I'm going to redo everything. I have a box of interior parts from the pick a part yards in the garage I have been collecting. Want to use them as templates to make new out of fiberglass... then I don't know if I will cover or paint..
I can't wait, hoping to start by end of November.
Attachments
20180815_075605.jpg
20180815_075605.jpg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 5635 times
kl4bidn liked this
By John
Hey @Stiffchick cool project!
Usually leather is sold in full hide and half hide. For your seats if your doing the entire cover in leather you'll probably need 1.5 hides. If your doing just the faces in leather like it comes from the factory you'll be fine with 1 hide.

Ive never heard of Uncle George Discount leather. An automotive leather hide should cost you around $200-400. If you find leather really cheep its most likely furniture grade leather and doesn't have the same UV protection. You have to be careful because I have seen people sell cheep leather as auto grade but inst.
By Stiffchick
Thank you for the heads up. He mentioned the diferent finish, but not UV, and only called it Upholstery grade, not Auto Upholstery. It's $100 A hide. I'm guessing it's not Auto Upholstery.
If I wanted to use this anyway, on my own vehicle, just to get some practice (will be my first attempt at auto) would it be ok to go with the cheaper non auto stuff? My machine is new to me too, im actually a little afraid to use it. I keep avoiding it and using my old Home machines lol. I'm in Phoenix and the sun kills everything eventually anyway.
By John
Yeah at $100 I doubt it automotive leather. The phoenix sun will ruin that leather pretty quick. I would suggest using vinyl to get some good practice. Its cheep and is rated for automotive use. Once you get good using vinyl then step up to using leather.
Albright's has a 10 yard store with really cheep vinyl https://www.albrightssupply.com/10-Yard ... Click=3957
You can also try Tempe Sales out there by you. I used to live in phoenix. That place will sell retail and have some good deals.
By BigRig
@Stiffchick ,

I go with John and recommend working with the vinyl. Look at artificial leather I cannot remember @John but he suggested an alternative to Ultraleather. You may just really like the final outcome.
By BigRig
Half a Hyde from a Hydes distributor near me is $495.00.

I am curious is there a vinyl specific for steering wheel covers. I was looking at them in the Auto store today and they di not seem like my upholstery vinyl.
hapyrdr liked this
By Stiffchick
Thank you all for the info. Sorry I took so long to respond. We just moved towns and man what a mess lol. I don't have my machines set up yet (to the disappointment of my customers)
I am holding off on the leather, but my favorite shop was having a 2$ a yard sale, so I went and stocked up. I got some marine vinyl to practice on (not 2$ a yard) while I was there and some top stitch thread and needles. I hope to have my act together soon :smile:
We are also working on going legit and getting a tax ID and such. No one in my new county thinks I need a licence from them, so I guess I have to go to the state. We don't live in a town, so the town wouldn't issue anything either.
John liked this
By Stiffchick
jdenison89 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:14 am @Stiffchick
How much of the seat were you planning on doing in leather? Keyston Bros has hides in the $5-$7/ft range and they have closeouts as well $2-$4/ft usually.
I wanted to do the whole bench, but I got some marine vinyl to practice with for the dodge. I got white and crimson, with matching thread for contrast stitching. I still would love leather, but we have 2 other vehicles that will need upholstery as soon as they are running :laughing: maybe one of those will be leather, or ill re do the Dodge once i get better.
hubby has a 77 chevy, not sure if he wants leather though. I have an 80 Blazer, but I wanted to do that entirely in marine vinyl as I want to take the top off the back and have it open (and maybe make a soft top for it some day)
John liked this
Top stitch question

So my seam is 6 and the top is 8. I used the same […]

Good information. I'm going to check this foam pl[…]

For diamond pattern I just staple the edges about […]

Furniture store

When seeking replacement furniture, consider your […]