By drhach
Hi Everyone, I am new here and this is my first post. I've been lurking for a while. Anyway, the reason I joined is that I have a couple of classic cars and I am wanting to delve more and more into the upholstery side of things. One of the cars that I own is a 1942 Buick. It has what I believe to be the original headliner. It is in very nice shape except for one tear near the rear window which is about 3-4 inches long. It's bad enough that it's quite noticeable but not so bad that I feel I should replace the headliner. I'm wondering about the possibility of sewing it shut. I understand that the repair would be visible but it (might) stop it from getting worse and probably would look better than the hole that is there now.

My other issue is that the car has cloth covered wiring which I feel is very unsafe. I have a new harness but the wiring for the dome light and the rear lights goes over the headliner along the driver side. I'm wondering about unhooking the liner, routing the wires and then reattaching the headliner.

I think my two concerns would be ripping the headliner and having wrinkles where there weren't any before. Has anyone ever tried this? Am I crazy for thinking about doing this? I'm trying to preserve the originality of the car wherever possible Any guidance or suggestions would be appreciated. I've searched high and low, and I haven't found any discussion online about reusing a headliner.

Regards,
Dan
By JimmieJoe
Regarding sewing the headliner; if it is still structural so that it will hold the thread instead of letting the thread tear through because the fabric is weak. Then you can sew it and hide you sewing with flock, provide you have a single color fabric with not pattern in the area of the tepair.
By drhach
Thanks for your reply, I was thinking that some sort of "baseball" stitch or sewing a backer on to it would do the trick. I suppose it could be sewn from the front if reattaching the headliner is not possible.
Newbie Pattern Question

Can you glue it on to a piece of cardboard or boat[…]

Available Solana Nodes

Do you know where I can find available Solana node[…]

Boat project

Looks great!

When it comes to fine furniture store waterloo ,[…]