Hi, I am happy to do most DIY but I am now in need of some good advice in an area where both my knowledge and expertise badly lack!

I offered to re-upholster my son's dining room chairs as the previous material was badly worn and in need of replacing.
The seats are easy to do and I am pleased with the end result.

The Back Support Section is arched (more of an 'S' shape) and was originally covered by two pieces of fabric (one for the front & the other for the back). I suspect they used TWO pieces as the back support is not straight but arched, and it would have been difficult to achieve a good fit. This Back Support Section fits in snaggly between the frame of the chair, it inserts into the top with two dowels, and is screwed into position with two screws from underneath. This is not very relevant, what is relevant is that all around the Back Support Section there is a groove of about 6mm and this is where the two fabric pieces were originally individually stapled so that when the Section is inserted in position into the body of the chair you can not see the ends of the fabric either from the front or the back (pretty clever to me!). They originally used some 8 or 10mm Staples, and these were (as stated) inserted into the groove.

I have a basic Electric stapler but the problem I encountered is that Icannot get the Stapler to fire the staples into the groove. As a result I had to staple onto the thin parts on either side of the grove. This is OK by itself (although some of the staples are not fully supported) but the problem is that when I assemble the Back Support Section you can just about see the end of the fabric on one side (the other side is OK as the two pieces of fabric overlap).

It is difficult to describe all this in words so I hope it is easier to understand by checking the photos! (I hope there is enough resolution to expand the photos so that you can understand the problem).

As I volunteered to do a good deed I am happy to invest in a better Stapler and do a good enough job, but I am struggling to find a good Stapler which (i) will allow me to get the staples into the grove and (ii) takes small enough staples (eg. 8-10 mm long). All the good electric staples I can see for sale take 15+mm long staples!

Can someone please advise me of a good enough stapler that will do what I want? I have been looking for electric staplers priced at about £50-£60. Basically I am reluctant to use long staples - but if you think that should be OK then so be it!

Alternatively, are there any other clever ways that I can consider to overcome the issue (so that you cannot see the end of the fabric from one side)?

I am grateful for any advice I get - thank you!
Thank you Wild Bill

I am only using a cheap PARKSIDE STAPLER NAILER PHET 15 C2 NEW AND BOXED MAINS ELECTRIC S23. You can find lots of pictures on the web.

In my search for a better stapler I have come across lots of air staplers but shyed away from these as I don't have an air generator!

I have seen a manual stapler with an extended 'nose' (see link below) which may do the job but would prefer an electric one. What would I need to use an Air Stapler and what would the likely expense be?

Thank you again!

That one may do it. I don't like that style as you have to apply pressure to shoot the staple opposite of where you want to drive the staple into the project which leads to staples not seating.

For an air powered stapler, a small pancake style compressor will likely get the jump done.

Even something like this one would probably do it although you may have to wait if it can't keep up.

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools ... 57567.html

I'm sure you can find something similar on your side of the pond.

This is the stapler I'm using

Fasco 11081F DUOFAST 50 SERIES F1B 50-16 1/4"-5/8" 0260027
You really need a furniture stapler which has a nose on it to reach into those grooves. Unfortunately, as you found they are pneumatic.

Ryobi has make some staplers with built in air, but they only have a nose on the 18 gauge, and not the 20 or 22 gauge.
With a vision to empower and inspire our customers to achieve their financial goals by transforming their living places with furniture near me cheap and home essentials. With an unwavering commitment to product excellence, affordable pricing and unparalleled customer service, we have served our valued clientele for over a decade. Our mission is simple: to provide consumers with a wide selection of furniture with storage for small spaces and home products that suit their unique tastes and preferences. We understand the importance of finding the perfect pieces to create a truly harmonious and comfortable environment, which is why we carefully curate our collections to suit different styles and requirements. Over the years, Cosmic Homes Canada has become synonymous with reliability and trust, you can furniture for small spaces with confidence, as we are emerging as a leading retailer in the furniture industry throughout North America and Europe. Our success can be attributed to staying ahead of market trends, adapting to evolving customer needs, and consistently delivering high-quality products.
Newbie Pattern Question

If you use one of those large straight edges they […]

Boat project

Looks great!

When it comes to fine furniture store waterloo ,[…]

A knee lift is also REALLY nice :grin: