By Feisty
Hey everyone! My husband, father-in-law, and I are starting the rebuild of our 1972 Ford Maverick. My father & husband are working on the mechanics, body & paint. My job is the interior! I have been sewing for many many years, but have never done auto upholstery. I know that I am looking for an industrial machine w/ walking foot, but there are so many options out there. I am hoping not to spend much more than $1000. What are your recommendations and why? I really appreciate everyone's input.
Ron Henningsen liked this
By Ron Henningsen
Today I bought a reconditioned Pfaff 1245 for $750 which I consider a deal. I pick it up on Monday but I have a 300 mile drive to get it. I find that machines with horizontal bobbins such as the Pfaff and Adler are easier to work with but I'm sure once you get used to the other style you would say the same thing.
Ask 20 people with different machines and you will most likely get 20 different answers.
Feisty, Adam12 liked this
By BigRig
[@Ron Henningsen usermention=2369]@aishatoum[/usermention]

I had my own likes but as my shop has evolved into varied projects I have just taken the advice and purchase from Adam12 on here. He know proper machinery for your application, knows his stuff and is trustworthy.
By Adam12
I very much appreciate the kind words @BigRig . Not sure where you're located @Feisty but there seem to be a lot of good used machines on the market right now. At least in my area. Stick with the well known brands such as singer, consew, juki, adler and pfaff. They will retain their value and you can recover your money if you decide that you hate auto upholstery in the end. Models to look for:
Singer- 111-155 or 156, 211-155 or 156
Juki- 241, 562 and 563
Consew- 206, 225, 226 and 255
Adler- 67, 167 and 267
Pfaff- 145 and 545
All are triple feed upholstery class machines that are well documented on the internet. And all can be found inside your budget. Any well maintained model listed here will last a lifetime. Like anything else, there are lemons out there so be sure to get a demonstration before buying a used machine.
Feisty liked this
By Feisty
Thank you so much @Adam12 ! I’m in the Portland, Oregon area. I really appreciate everyone’s input! I’m excited to start this new adventure :grin:
Adam12 liked this
By JimmieJoe
On the west coast machines are harder to come by and typically cost more. I have found that sometimes it is cheaper to get a unit from the east coast and pay for freight than to get a used one locally. However, knowing how to maintain a machine makes getting an unknown used machine more viable. Typically, I have found a non functional machine can be very functional with a little TLC and a part or two.
Feisty, Adam12 liked this
By TedP
Used machines have become really hard to get, as there seems to have been many folks looking to do upholstery work over the last few years. I bought my Consew 206RB-4 (used) in 2019 complete w/ table for $500. Today it could probably go for $1,200 in a heartbeat. If you need a machine right away, you may have to buy new, which will run about $2K. If you have a few months to look, then you can wait it out for the right machine to come along. You will also want to make sure you are getting a working machine.

To Adam12's list I might add the Juki 1541 and 1508. Be careful with shopping the Singers as there are so many variations to their model series, it may be hard to understand if you are getting the proper 111 or 211 series machine.

Also, understand that you are looking for a 'compound feed' (walking foot & needle feed) machine, all the machines mentioned are compound feed.
Adam12, Feisty liked this
By Feisty
All of these responses have been so helpful. I’m not in any rush to buy one. But I wanted to know what to keep my eye out for, so if one does come up in my price range I’ll be able to swoop in.

Another quick question. While looking I’ve seen two types of motors, the clutch motor & the servo motor. What are the differences? Pros & Cons?
By BigRig
I am going to stick with the speed reducer and clutch. I have too many thick dirty projects to contend with and need power. I cannot speak for the servos do not have them on my machines. @adam12 can help you with this he set me up.
Feisty liked this
By Adam12
Clutch motors when turned on will spin at about 2500rpm, as you press the pedal a cork clutch engages the spinning weight to turn the machine. Servo only spins when you press the pedal (quieter) and you can set the max speed to whatever you're comfortable with. For your first industrial and doing auto upholstery, a servo is probably the way to go. It's an easy swap if not already outfitted. The nice thing about the servo is that as your skills increase, you can increase your sewing speed as it is digitally controlled. A clutch motor alone will need some mods, such as a speed reducer, to be controllable at lower speeds (comparatively) but you'll get a lot more more power. Very popular with leather stitchers. Don't get me wrong, many of us cut our teeth on clutch motors without reduction and learned to control them the hard way but that learning curve can now be eliminated. If you find a machine with a clutch motor, don't count it out, use that as a negotiation tool. You'll either want to add a speed reducer or replace with a servo and the cost of either is pretty similar.
Feisty liked this
By BigRig
So many odd projects come in that need power that are not just fabric and foam, rubber, heavy canvas, straps, PLASTICS. Thats why multiple machines.
Feisty liked this
By Feisty
You all have been incredibly helpful. I'm on the hunt and now I know what I'm looking for, lol. Seems like in my area I'm finding a lot of the Juki DDL-8700 & DDL-5550, as well as the Consew CN2053R-1. So I will just have to be patient and keep my eyes out for the right one. Thank you again for everyone's input and knowledge. I am so grateful to have found this forum. :smile:
By TedP
You will probably want a servo motor and even a speed reducer in addition to the motor. Servo motors are not very expensive and can be swapped out fairly easily.

I've seen some folks who bought, or were going to buy, the machines you just mentioned above (Juki 8700, Consew 205) only to realize that they are not walking foot/compound feed. You'll see them come up for sale on the used market as folks who buy them realize that they are not the right machine for upholstery work.
Feisty liked this
Newbie Pattern Question

Can you glue it on to a piece of cardboard or boat[…]

Available Solana Nodes

Do you know where I can find available Solana node[…]

Boat project

Looks great!

When it comes to fine furniture store waterloo ,[…]