I always could feel that something wasn't quite right on my 545 Pfaff. Over the last three years I had it in for service once and they gave it back to me and said it was serviced and everything was adjusted.
Well my previous service place went out of business and a new place I finally found said they could adjust the timing on my machine but the way the service person, a Juki, dealer, said it when I told him it was a Pfaff 545 I decided to figure things out myself.
After finding a few on-line videos and reading the manual I jumped in to the repair. It took me several hours of being overly cautious but I did set the timing. It was better but still not as quiet as I thought it should be. MY friend in PA also did his as he said if I could do it he could also, an Adler which is almost identical to a Pfaff.
Anyway I just reset mine to Adler specs for needle height when setting timing and my machine is now so quiet it almost scares me.
Moral of the story is "Just Do It". The worst that can happen is you have to take it in and you had to do that anyway. I now can set timing on a Pfaff or Adler in under 20 minutes. Not bad in my opinion.
I also set the needle plat operating height while I was at it. Common sense adjustment.
LLeeT, Adam12 liked this
I have a 545 as well, great machine. I had a 145 that needed a lot of love to get working again, I pulled it all apart and got it working great, all it took was some old manuals, a few tools and dedication. Glad you built up yoru confidence by rolling yours sleeve up and diving in - the best way to understand your machine.
Ron Henningsen, Adam12 liked this
Thanks for you comment. It really took me a while before I "jumped" in to fix my machine. I don't know why but I was intimidated by the machine. Most likely because I thought it was far more difficult than it turned out to be. I had never touch any real adjustment on my machine other than thread tension before. I kept reading how difficult it was to set timing and used to believe it. Now I know better. If i can sew with correct and great looking stitches I can certainly learn to set timing.
I let it intimidate me at first too, but after spending money getting it done and not really being much better I went to the internet university. Now it takes me longer to take the parts off needed to see what your doing (Juki 145) that to actually retime it and I can nail it every time. I recommend everyone who sews to learn how to do this as well as a general service
Adam12 liked this

The A. Leon Company was first established in 1909 […]

Newbie Pattern Question

Can you glue it on to a piece of cardboard or boat[…]

Available Solana Nodes

Do you know where I can find available Solana node[…]

Boat project

Looks great!