I am new to the upholstery side of boat rebuilding, it's turned out to be a fun and challenging hobby.
After buying a used boat that needed a cockpit cover, I couldn't find a shop within a 100 miles of me that didn't have 6-8 month backlog. So I bought a walking foot machine, fabric and supplies, watched quite a few videos, and successfully did my own cover. I managed to save a few bucks as well. Then, I was able to redo the sun pad and the rear bench seat in vinyl and I'm pretty happy with the results.
Now, I've moved into the cabin and have a couple of questions about the way it was put together. The boat is 33 years old, so I'm not sure if this is factory original.
The foam is 3" and has 1/2" foam glued to it. Is there a reason for this 1/2" foam?

There is some sort of fabric under the seating fabric. Can anyone tell me the reason for this

Here is the seat cushion I'm working on
I would think the double layer foam is original. The fact that the thicker foam wraps around and over the thinner tells me something but I'm not sure what, there must be a reason for it though. Are the two foams of a different firmness? There is a guy on Youtube who does boat interiors and seems very helpful, his company name is spittin tacks, maybe watch his videos and send him your question. As for the material maybe it allowed them to pre-make the cushions then cover with the owners final choice? Only saying that because it looks like this is a larger cabin cruiser and they usually have numerous choices when ordered. Just guessing here -
Newbie Pattern Question

If you use one of those large straight edges they […]

Boat project

Looks great!

When it comes to fine furniture store waterloo ,[…]

A knee lift is also REALLY nice :grin: