Anything about sewing machines and the tools we use.
By fibersport
I was wondering those that do auto or marine upholstery, what is your go-to presser foot and why? I'm just starting this as a hobby and really don't know the benefits or drawbacks of the various types. I have a Pfaff 545 so my options are a little limited and more expensive that Singer or Consew feet so I would like to know more before I either buy or don't buy anything. Most of my work will be with vinyl although I may do some auto seats in leather. I'm trying to learn the right way and am hoping to avoid buying a whole bunch of different feet. Thanks in advance -
By WILD BILL
Funny, I think I ordered every foot I could possibly think I could need LOL.

Then again I am trying to start a business.

That said, I really don't have a "go to" Unless I am doing something that requires a special foot for that task. For most general sewing I will use what ever foot is on the machine. A lot of times that's a piping foot. However, left or right side edge guide feet are really slick for keeping a decorative top stitch in line.

Have you checked Amazon? That's where I got all mine. CKPSMS Brand. Probably cheap knock offs but I haven't had any issues with them.
sallard liked this
By fibersport
I have looked at the CKPSMS brand, they seem to be reasonably priced and have pieces for the Pfaff machines. I can understand that there are certain tyhps of feet that are needed for a certain task, maing welting is one that comes to mine. I've been watching a particular you tube series, the guy says he uses a zipper foot almost all the time. With my lack of experience, one question I have is a left ot right? Similar to edge guides, left or right and what are the beneifts to either? I wish there was a book I could read up on all the different typs of feet -
By LLeeT
I pretty much use the feet that came standard on my machines. They work fine for most projects. I do have other feet for the special stuff.Image
By sandmanred
I also have a 545. Off brand feet are readily available but they don't always fit as well as the original Pfaff feet. I had to have a machinist friend make a special clamp to secure the rear foot for some of my special feet. I have a variety of feet but tend to leave the standard foot on most the time.

The need for special feet depends a lot on what you do with the machine. For basic butt seams and top stitching you don't need anything special. I usually set up another machine with the special feet and use the Pfaff as is and then switch back forth as needed.
By JimmieJoe
Center guide for twin needle and edge guide for single needle, makes top stitching along a seam much easier.

Your question about left or right really depends on which way is easier to get your piece through the machine. Once you know which way is easier to get the piece through the machine will dictate whether you need a left or a right, but as other have mention you can do everything without special feet, the special feet just allow you to be a little lazier.

For cording, I mostly use 3/16 foot for automotive. But for furniture; If you are using 5/32 cord with thick leather you will need a 5/16 foot.
By MalcolmM
You will end up with a box of feet, most are only occasionally used, but necessary when you need them. Which to buy when starting out? You can do a lot with the standard heavy duty foot, but they also come in a smooth bottom for leather and other materials which will show the serrations. Welting feet are the next most useful for me, then guide feet for a perfectly aligned stitch then zipper feet L&R. Those are the ones I use most often. The welting and guide feet come in a variety of sizes and you can buy them as a set or one at a time. Binding attachments are another "rabbit hole" to go down, I have a dozen of those.
Newbie Pattern Question

If you use one of those large straight edges they […]

Boat project

Looks great!

When it comes to fine furniture store waterloo ,[…]

A knee lift is also REALLY nice :grin: