General discussions about our craft and industry.
By Larry in OK
I'm a small scale operation. I do very, very little upholstery (yet?). Most of what I do is for my own use and to try to learn techniques. My focus is primarily on boat canvas.
Since I do very little gluing I just can't see getting set up with a pneumatic glue sprayer and the glue to use in one, yet. The glue would probably go to waste and the gun clog to an early death before I could use enough to make it worth while.
For now I've been trying various canned spray adhesives for gluing on scrim foam. Some spray a wild "spider web" like pattern and some like 3M Super 77 spray a nice even coat that is easy to control.
I'm getting ready to reupholster a seat for my HD touring bike and will be attempting to do some fancier stuff like diamond pleats and will be using scrim foam.
Looking for opinions and options for what to use.
By WILD BILL
I say stick with the 3M super 77. That's what I've been using and will until I can justify buying the Weldwood Landua glue.

Like you, I've had good luck with it.
Larry in OK liked this
By Rhonda
Please show them diamonds off when done. I have only done one with diamonds , didnt feel like it was as good as i have seen. enjoy seeing others work on here
Larry in OK liked this
By Mikesimpson
You don't actually want to use landau glue to hold your material to your scrim foam. You only want a small amount of glue to hold it in place as you sew up your diamonds or pleats. Then I run a perimeter stitch around the whole piece. If you use landau glue for that part you are more likely to end up with creases or weird marks in the material. Just a light spray on the foam is all you need. I use Misty spray glue from a can for that.
Larry in OK liked this
By WILD BILL
Mikesimpson wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:27 am You don't actually want to use landau glue to hold your material to your scrim foam. You only want a small amount of glue to hold it in place as you sew up your diamonds or pleats. Then I run a perimeter stitch around the whole piece. If you use landau glue for that part you are more likely to end up with creases or weird marks in the material. Just a light spray on the foam is all you need. I use Misty spray glue from a can for that.

I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks.
Rhonda wrote:Please show them diamonds off when done. I have only done one with diamonds , didnt feel like it was as good as i have seen. enjoy seeing others work on here
Keep an eye out for my next thread then. I just did a diamond pleat on a rat rod interior that I'm doing for my friend Annie's friend.

Haven't finished all the pieces yet but I got enough to show if I can figure out how to get the pics from my phone to my laptop :yum:
By LLeeT
After a few jobs with rolled pleats and diamonds, I quit using glue. With pleats I staple several places around the perimeter and start in the middle and work my way out to the edge, flip material, start in the middle again, work to the edge. With diamonds, staple the edges, make a full length Xs in the middle and work towards the edges, flip and repeat until finished. Your mileage may vary.
Rhonda, Larry in OK liked this
By BigRig
@LLeeT , I really like that diamond panel. When you say a full length X do you mean the full panel?
By LLeeT
What I meant is that I start in the center (for diamonds only) and make a X starting at the edge of the panel and sew from there to the side of the center most diamond to the other edge. Next repeat that step by creating your X . It may have read that I was starting to sew from the center, but that is where I want my first stitches to cross.
Larry in OK liked this
By LLeeT
Maybe this will make it more clear. Forgive my crooked X.
Door X.jpg
Door X.jpg (72.67 KiB) Viewed 1332 times
Larry in OK liked this
Newbie Pattern Question

Can you glue it on to a piece of cardboard or boat[…]

Available Solana Nodes

Do you know where I can find available Solana node[…]

Boat project

Looks great!

When it comes to fine furniture store waterloo ,[…]