General discussions about our craft and industry.
By WILD BILL
I'm in the initial stages of talking to a friend of a cowoker about reupholstering his motorcycle seat. After mentioning he was leaning towards a Batman theme talk went towards stitching the logo in the seat. Not being sure if I could do it I went ahead and did a trial run at it.

This was done with 1/2' scrim foam and V92 poly thread. Logo is about 8" wide by just under 4" tall

My question is, would you guys do something like this staying with the V92 or go to a thicker thread like 138? Would it make any difference really in how the finished stitch would look or hold up over time?

And yes, I realize I messed up a bit on the one ear. This is where I was starting and stopping my stitch and trying to get them to lock without very much back stitching so as not to mess up the look. Maybe the top of the head wasn't the best place to start and end. Where would you have started and how would you go about locking the stitch so there wasn't a bunch of overlapping detracting for the overall look?
By Rhonda
It looks good to me like it is. If you want to be a little bolder , i would go with the thicker thread . as far as the start and finish , my thought would be at the bottom.
By WILD BILL
When you say at the bottom are you meaning at the point?

Also, I id the seams on my boat at 8 STI. The logo I did at 5 STI. would the denser stitch count make it appear bolder or no?
By Rhonda
yes at the point bottom or near , I use a 7 STI Thats me, you look like your starting out at 100.
Your work has been impressive. look forward to seeing more.
By sandmanred
Looks great. I usually top stitch with at least 138, some time 210 or even 270. Instead of back stitching to lock the stitch I'd pull the top thread to the back and tie off. Then add a dot of superglue to the knot to keep it from falling apart.
LLeeT liked this
By WILD BILL
@sandmanred, Awesome tip my friend. Thank you so much.

I tried it on a piece of scrap when I got home tonight and it's just the thing to get the look I wanted.
By sandmanred
WILD BILL wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:22 pm I've been able to locate 138 in both black and white but no 210 and what other colors might be available and from what suppliers?
Two links below. Both have a wide selection of colors and sizes. ebay is okay too but quality varies more. These are both good suppliers.

thethreadexchange.com is a good source as well as

https://www.etsy.com/listing/803535640/ ... s_search_6
By Revv Up
I agree a 138 or larger thread would look better, I wouldn’t lock the stitch, instead pull the top thread to the back side and tie them together for the start and the finish. That way you won’t be able to tell where you started or finished.
LLeeT liked this
By WILD BILL
Does anybody happen to know how large of a thread the Comsew 255 rb2 will handle?

I should add I think the largest needle I have is a 24

The A. Leon Company was first established in 1909 […]

Newbie Pattern Question

Can you glue it on to a piece of cardboard or boat[…]

Available Solana Nodes

Do you know where I can find available Solana node[…]

Boat project

Looks great!