By Larry in OK
I'm going to be doing a small repair job on a sailboat bimini in a couple of weeks. The problem is that the backstay passthroughs aren't quite where they need to be and they are getting rub through in the opening and it has caused a bit of tearing. The bimini was well made but the owner admitted that the measurements they gave to the sail loft that built it were a little off.
It's a fairly straight forward repair. The the opening is zipped to a circular opening that has Sunbrella binding around it.
My intent as discussed with the owner is to slightly enlarge the circular opening, patch the tears and add add new binding . My question is about the use of something a little more abrasion resistant than Sunbrella. I've been working with Top Notch 9 on some personal projects on my sailboat in part because it is a good bit less expensive than Sunbrella and I want to see how it holds up to usage before I recommend it.
Top Notch 9 is advertised as being more abrasion resistant than acrylics but advertising is advertising and I don't have enough real world experience to make a call.
Anyone have any advice?
By Larry in OK
Hadn't thought about sailmaker leather, I've got plenty of that on hand from another project. Not sure how it will hold up to constant 24/7 seasonal exposure though. Something to consider, thanks.
By Adam12
Polyester fades in the sun where acrylic doesn't, so sunbrella for anything exposed and of course sunbrella will be color matched to the original. We use a lot of aqualon, stamoid and 18oz vinyl coated polyester for hidden reinforcement but that's what we have tons of in the scrap bin. If it's hidden you have a lot of options and your top notch should be fine
By Larry in OK
According to the description on the Sailrite website -

Top Notch® 9 is 100% solution-dyed polyester with a fluorocarbon finish, creating a fabric that is breathable, reversible and water-repellent. The solution-dyed polyester fabric won't fade and provides superior strength compared to other solution-dyed fabrics. Top Notch 9 provides strength, abrasion resistance, dimensional stability and UV resistance, making it ideal for most outdoor and marine environments. Due to the weave and finish of Top Notch 9, it is mildew resistant and does not noticeably shrink, stretch or sag.

Is the "won't fade" claim untrue?
By Adam12
Sorry that was sort of a "blanket" statement. In general polyester fades. I don't claim to know all of their products and have not used the top notch 9 that you are referring to. I did 1 project with a polyester top gun product years ago (no idea now which version, they have several) and after a year or 2 n the sun it had gone from Kentucky blue to North Carolina blue and I've used only sunbrella or recacril since. I didn't mean to imply that the top notch 9 is a poor choice, but imo acrylics have a better track record when it comes to fading.
Larry in OK liked this
By FordPerfect
I think You are mistaken. It’s not too notch you need it’s Top-gun made by too-notch. It is incredibly abrasion resistant. No use it on e all of my Sunbrella against my bikini frame. It has been rock solid for a decade. It also does not unravel when cut so needs no gems or binding.

https://www.sailrite.com/Fabrics/Popula ... oYQAvD_BwE

That said you can also buy shelter-rite tape from Sailrite although only in black and white.
Larry in OK, MalcolmM liked this
By flyingpumpkin
Shelter-rite comes in several more colors from sail rite including Pacific Blue, Grey, and tan. I don't think it is accurate to say Shelter-rite does not need to be bound. Since it is vinyl over a polyester fabric, I have notices little whispies coming off raw edges.

I am not sure about Stamoid, but would love to hear anyones experience there. It is also a vinyl coated fabric
FordPerfect wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:46 am I think You are mistaken. It’s not too notch you need it’s Top-gun made by too-notch. It is incredibly abrasion resistant. No use it on e all of my Sunbrella against my bikini frame. It has been rock solid for a decade. It also does not unravel when cut so needs no gems or binding.

https://www.sailrite.com/Fabrics/Popula ... oYQAvD_BwE

That said you can also buy shelter-rite tape from Sailrite although only in black and white.
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: