Anything about sewing machines and the tools we use.
By Cale
@Adam12 I have gone through those videos several times and have checked everything in the order that he does. While I did make some minor adjustments that weren't clear or could be subjective, everything has been gone through more than 5 times.
@MalcolmM There was a test piece in the machine when I got it. The problem is that the machine will sew correctly for 50-100 stitches and then goes out of whack. It starts to make smaller and smaller stiches. I can start out at 5mm and within a few minutes of sewing the machine is down to the 3.5mm stich range. And yes, the indicator dial is still on 5mm.
I also tested against my other machine the stich lengths. I have a sailrite LS-Z and on a single piece of vinyl and vinyl with a 1/2" sew foam the machine makes consistent stitches. On the RBL-18, the stitches are much shorter on the thicker material right up front.
And yes, I have been calling the dealer and am at the end of my patience level.
By Adam12
When this happens, you say that it starts out good. What do you have to do to get it to make 50 good stitches again?
By Adam12
Definitely grounds to return it if that is what it takes to correct it when it acts up. Is your dealer close enough that you can just show up and drop it off? Hopefully it wasn't from an internet "drop shipper". If so you will want to contact consew directly as you will get no support from most of them.
Cale liked this
By MalcolmM
Sounds like something broke in the machine head, if it were just out of alignment it would be consistently out of alignment. Your issue does not appear to be a "timing" issue, but something in the works slipping during operation. A broken bolt?

The last machine I had shipped to me was dropped during transit, I had it worked on by a local sewing machine tech who was able to get it working for about $1500. UPS denied the claim even though there was obvious damage on the box and the "drop sensor" was ripped off the top during transit. The seller just paid me for the damage and I kept the machine. If I ever ship a machine it will be strapped to a pallet, no more UPS or FedX for machines.
Adam12, Cale, Rhonda liked this
By Cale
So today I was again trying to get the machine to stitch right when the presser foot tension assembly came apart. This was the final straw for this machine. As soon as I gathered the parts that I could find, I disassembled the machine, packed it up and called the company to tell them that I wanted to return it and get a refund. I will keep you posted on this part of the saga.
To be honest, I have a bad taste about the machine and am looking at my alternate as a replacement.
By Cale
@MalcolmM I have actually had several broke hardware pieces with the machine. That is one of my main complaints with this machine. The hardware is SUPER CHEAP and breaks just looking at it.
By MalcolmM
That is completely unacceptable. What happened to Consew? I have a Consew P1206RB and it's been fine, only a 10" harp though. I have been looking at at Juki LU-2810, it's more expensive than my Consew but has a 14" harp and a 3/4 foot lift vs my 5/8 lift.
By Cale
I have packed up the Consew ready to send it back. And of course, the company I bought it from is throwing up road blocks.
So, as soon as I finished pack up, I ordered and have already received a Sailrite Fabricator. I know how @John feels about the Sailrite Fabricator, but, if it is the same quality as the LSZ-1 that I have, then it should be a good machine. Since getting the LSZ-1 in 2017, that poor machine has been abused, neglected and out right been treated like an unwanted step child, but despite that, it still stitches perfectly and has never had an issue. Well, except the ones that I have created.
I am expecting the same quality and reliability from the Fabricator. Yes, there may be better machines, and when the time comes, I will go down that road again. This experience with the RBL-18 has left me a bad taste for the brand and the company that I purchased it from.
MalcolmM liked this
By LLeeT
I purchased a Fabricator about 6 months ago and am not sorry that I did. I also have the LSZ-1. I have sewn though 6 layers of vinyl on motorcycle seats with no problem. I did wrap a piece of vinyl around a door panel board just as a test and it was no problem. I think you will be happy with it.
Cale liked this
By Adam12
You should find comfort knowing that the sailrite people will actually take it out of the box and make sure it sews correctly before shipping it. Had there been something wrong with it, it will have been addressed there before shipping it to you. I expect that your consew dealer didn't. Many do not. The right or wrong dealer can make all of the difference wether it comes to set up or support. It's a shame that they are trying to block the return. Keep us updated
LLeeT, Cale liked this
By BigRig
@Cale , you got a machine like I had something was haywire and impossible to troubleshoot and fix.
By ChapelWorx
Cale wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:44 pm After a two year hiatus from sewing, I am getting back into it. I am looking for a new machine to add to my shop. I want a long arm machine and I have narrowed down to 2 machines, the Consew 206rbl-25 and the Techsew 5100-25.
My main concern right now is that the 206 might be a notch too small and the 5100 a notch too large.
I am doing automotive interiors and my main concern is being able to sew larger threads for top stitching. I want to use larger threads, up to at least 207, can the consew handle that?
I know that the techsew 5100 can easily do the larger threads but I am affraid that the standard 92 I use for sewing may be too small for that machine.
Anybody have any input on these machines?
My Consew will sew V210/207 thread as long as it's tuned correctly and I'm using very good thread and a new needle. The main thing for me was tuning it. It either came from the factory out of tune or was jarred out of alignment during shipping. Once I did that, It has been awesome.
By MalcolmM
I have a Cowboy 4500, same as the Techsew 5100 which are both clones of the Juki TSC-441. The minimum thread I use is V138, and I have read all about how to "downgrade" the machine on leatherworker, V138 is close enough to v92 that it does not seem worth it unless you are primarily using the machine for light thread and then you should get a different machine. Where this machine does well is with very heavy thread and slow sewing. It's not a replacement for a high speed flatbed machine, though with the accessory table and "blanket feet" I have done a lot of top stitching with heavy thread. It's a niche machine and if I didn't sew heavy bags and cases it would not be worth if for upholstery work, a mid weight cylinder arm would be better.
By Rhonda
BigRig wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:44 pm @Mtl_Biker , you should go, with all the previous textile manufacturing they have huge inventory always coming in. I talked to them before waitng on an old Singer 211 if they ever surface again.
you looking for a 211 singer
By BigRig
@Rhonda , I am not sure on the 211 after reading that the 111 is better. I just dont know sewing machine confusion.
Rhonda liked this
By BigRig
@Cale , how is the new fabricator sewing for you? Much different than the Consew?
By Rhonda
The reason I like the Fabricator is the customer support i got, i can take a video of what's going on there is a person talking to me through how to fix it. If it's something they can send a video to , they do , do that. sewing over thick stuff I like my consew it just does a better stitch . Doesnt break as many needles.
By Cale
@BigRig , Hey man. sorry I haven't responded, Life has had me super busy and I am just now getting back on the forum.
The Fabricator has been an awesome machine. I love it. Both of my Sailrite machines are my goto machines of choice. I did get the Consew repaired but I hardly use it. I just don't like it. It is clunky and temperamental. As soon as I feel that I get to a point to where I am ok with selling it at a loss or I get completely fed up with it I am going to replace it with something else.

@Rhonda , yes, Sailrites customer service has been spectacular for these machines.
LLeeT liked this
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: