By Ironhorse2022
Hello. First post and total sewing rookie. I need some relatively simple upholstery work on my boat and thought I might give it a try. I’ve been looking for a cheap machine with walking foot, reverse and variable speed but they aren’t cheap. Then I started wondering if my wife’s machine could get the job done. It’s a husqvarna Viking Iris. I figure it needs to handle up to 4 layers of vinyl. What do you think ? If not the Iris, what are your recommendations for an inexpensive machine considering I don’t plan to do this very often. Thanks !
By LLeeT
After watching videos and comments on this machine, I have doubts that it will do the job you refer to. Probably a good machine for what it was designed for, but not for upholstery. Claims are that there are some good buys on walking foot machines, (3 to 5 hundred dollars) but I never ran across those bargains. I would look at Sailrite portable machines. There is a sale on them at this time. It will have power to sew your 4 layers and is a tuff machine. Good customer service which means alot. If you choose one of those, I would add the heavy Monster Wheel.
There are other good machines out there, but I use one of these and know their capabilities. Hopefully others will chime in with more suggestions.
By TedP
Well there is nothing cheap about upholstery sewing. You will want a walking foot machine . . . probably a used Sailrite LS-1, if you can find one would be the least cost option.
By BigRig
@Ironhorse2022 ,

I am working on a project right now that ended up as a DIY. Boat upholstery can be miserable enough as it is but trying to sew it with a domestic machine will be a nightmare. Keep in mind that the seam has to be strong to handle the abrasion and stretch of the material. You do not want to use a sewing machine as a tiny punch and create a perforated line you can rip easily.
By Adam12
Your machine will make stitches in a couple/few layers but you will be very limited on the number of layers you can cram under the foot, you certainly won't be able to use sew foam. If the stack is too tall it will cause the thread tension to release as if you had raised the foot manually(=sloppy stitches). Most marine upholstery is done with a 92 or 138 size thread which is far beyond the capability of that machine. Personally I would suggest looking for a second hand singer 111 type walking foot machine, expect to spend $600-800 and outfit it with a servo if it's not already. If you decide never to sew again, you should have no problem selling and getting your money back out of it. However if you do decide that you enjoy it, the machine will pay for itself in no time.
LLeeT liked this
Thank you for the excellent feedback - exactly the type I was hoping to get. I suspected the answer would be no but figured I should ask those with experience. I will continue reading this forum, get some education and keep my eyes open for your recommended machines. How important is it to have a reversible machine ?
By Adam12
Reverse is certainly nice to have but not the end of the world if you don't and will save money. My first industrial didn't have reverse, paid for itself on the first job. People have been sewing on machines without reverse for over a century but lots of people won't consider them. You can still lock your stitch by either turning the material 180deg, or you can just run 3-4 stitches then lift the foot and pull the material back to the starting point and take off.
LLeeT liked this

I don’t think the bobbin color matters as mu[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: