General discussions about our craft and industry.
By Ron Henningsen
Every now and then the condition shown in the pc happens. It happens with different threads, different needles, different vinyls/fabrics, different thrad tension etc. There is no common thread (no pun intended).
I have also attached a pic of a sample sew where it happened the last time. I don't see any thread tension issue top or bottom. Any suggestions of what to look at.
Thanks
By Mtl_Biker
Ron, I have had that happen as well. What it usually turned out to be was a needle that wasn't quite in the right position... the scarf wasn't perpendicular to the sewing. Now it's rare that it happens as whenever I install a needle I double check that it's aligned in the right position by threading it, and then holding both ends of the thread out to make sure it's correct.

The other thing could be a burr somewhere along the thread path, maybe in a tension disc or something.

The most common/obvious thing though is a worn needle... first thing that should be done is to install a new needle. They're certainly cheap enough (especially if you buy them from Wawak when they have a sale!).
Ron Henningsen liked this
By Rug Dr.
Thread maybe? My Consew 1541 isn't happy with Coats, and it LOVES Amann. I also find the cocking the needle to 2:00 vs strait at 3:00 it works better. The needle size could also be the culprit, to small will cause that as well. 22 seems to be the Happy spot with 92 and 138 threads.
Ron Henningsen liked this
Thanks, I'll check the needle position. I have been trying a few different needles for thread hole size and some of them don't have a flat on them so I may not be clocking them in the exact correct position.
By Adam12
First thing is verifying the correct needle system, needle size and thread size combination (you didn't mention the specifics of what you are using). If those check out, look at needle bar height, hook timing and hook-needle distance. Then latch opener and check spring. Other culprits can be burrs in the thread path, or the thread getting hung up somewhere between the cone and needle.
Revv Up liked this
By John
Lots of causes for that. In my experience it is almost always poor quality thread. I will only use Coats UltraDee bonded poly or Amman. Every other thread I have used always has problems. Its not worth tiring to save money on thread.

other causes:
- bad needle
- Needle too small
- Incorrect threading of the machine
- A burr somewhere along the path of the thread
- Needle to hook timing slighty off and is cutting the thread.
- damage to the hook.

I bought a new Juki about 6 years ago now and it […]

I use the Landau glue almost for everything. I h[…]

stapler

Hello! I have Rainco, I'm satisfied, I can get to […]

headliner retainer strips

I have a 1959 Plymouth - the headliner consists of[…]