General discussions about our craft and industry.
By Matt Hamblin
I haven't seen anything on here about glue guns lately so i hope im not missing any answers out there.

Im having issues with my glue guns. I am on my third gun in less than a month. Last gun lasted over 6 months before i accidentally broke it working on a job.

The gun starts out with a good spray pattern and i can do multiple parts no issue. Then randomly (once it does act up i haven't been able to get it back right) it will just spit and sputter or not spray at all.

I've adjusted everything multiple times. Cleaned the tips, ran acetone through one, ran air through both ways and it will maybe spray good for a few seconds then goes to crap. Even with a full compressor. I refilled the glue and played with the level in the cans, no change. I did this with the first one and finally gave up and ordered two more. The second lasted about 2 days. This one has lasted about 2 weeks.
These boats im working on just have so much foam that im spraying a lot of glue.
Im at a loss as to what could be causing this and can't afford to buy new guns every week.
Any suggestions are appreciated!
By vicstric
Have you completly taken apart and cleaned the guns? Or just spray acetone through? when you spray acetone, does the spray pattern clean up? How old is the glue? What size is the tip? Have you tried thinning the glue with a little acetone? What air pressure?

I am no expert with spray guns. Just thinking. But it sounds like glue may be old/ too thick/ contaminated with something. I think i would give a thourough cleaning and try a new can of glue for starters.
Matt Hamblin liked this
By Mikesimpson
Have you cleaned out the vent in the top of the cup? When mine starts acting like that I have to take that small plastic hose off and blow air or push a wire through the vent in the lid of the cup, normally that's the issue.
Matt Hamblin liked this
By Matt Hamblin
@vicstric
Yeah the gun would get better for say 30 seconds at times but not always. It seemed to be doing it often after refilling the cement. That's why i was puzzled and gave up on the first one.
@Mikesimpson
I tried checking the vent tube last night, i never thought of that before. It was clogging up on the canister port. I cleaned it and sprayed it for a short time and it seemed much improved. I will use it today on some full pieces and let y'all know how it goes.

I'm thinking it may be my fault as i tend to lay the gun on its side over a towel when im filling the canister. I assume glue got in the port then and set up by time i went to use it causing the problems ive had.
Hope it is fixed and move forward!

Thanks for the suggestions!
Mikesimpson liked this
By Rug Dr.
I use a Binks 2001 with a Devilbiss 2 quart pot, a wee bit on the pricey side. Take out the top pin, the one above the needle. That's the air port, sometimes glue can get up in there. There's a spring and and small cup washer with a little set pin to hold it. When I did use those guns I would drill out the breather hole on the lid, 1/8". If the glue is old a splash of acetone works wonders. Fresh glue is a light yellow, old glue is dark yellow.
Matt Hamblin liked this
By Roothawg
Not to the point of spraying glue yet, but I paint hot rods. I completely break down my guns after every use. It will make your life easier. It may seem cumbersome at first, but you will get the hang of it. I can break mine down in under 5 minutes and have it cleaned and reassembled for the next use.
By Mikesimpson
@Roothawg I do the same thing with my paint guns and thought the same as you when I first started spraying glue out of a paint gun. But, the weldwood landau glue is a totally different animal than paint. The lacquer thinner I normally use to clean my paint guns hardly does anything to cut the glue, It kind of just turns it into a gummy mess. Best thing to do is just buy a cheep harbor freight siphon feed gun and leave the glue in it. I don't necessarily use mine often and worried the glue would dry up in the gun but mine has sat for a couple of months without being used before and has been just fine. Worst case if it starts to get kinda crapy and thick you just dump it and add some fresh glue. I've had my gun for 3 years now and haven't had any issues other than the breather hole getting plugged with glue. I just bought a spare gun to have on hand when they were on sale, for as cheep as they are its hardly worth putting much time into cleaning them.
vicstric, Roothawg liked this
By Roothawg
Mikesimpson wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:42 am @Roothawg I do the same thing with my paint guns and thought the same as you when I first started spraying glue out of a paint gun. But, the weldwood landau glue is a totally different animal than paint. The lacquer thinner I normally use to clean my paint guns hardly does anything to cut the glue, It kind of just turns it into a gummy mess. Best thing to do is just buy a cheep harbor freight siphon feed gun and leave the glue in it. I don't necessarily use mine often and worried the glue would dry up in the gun but mine has sat for a couple of months without being used before and has been just fine. Worst case if it starts to get kinda crapy and thick you just dump it and add some fresh glue. I've had my gun for 3 years now and haven't had any issues other than the breather hole getting plugged with glue. I just bought a spare gun to have on hand when they were on sale, for as cheep as they are its hardly worth putting much time into cleaning them.
OK, I am taking ya'lls word on it.
By Adam12
Not proud to say, but the glue gun is the most neglected tool in my shop. It's a cheap one from harbor freight. The guy that i apprenticed under would let his gun sit for months, half full of glue, literally all winter long. Never cleaned it, never dumped it unless the glue went bad. When he'd pick it up in the spring after sitting for months and it wouldn't spray with fresh glue, i'd watch him cover the orifice with his finger while pulling the trigger a couple times and suddenly his finger tip is covered in glue and it sprays fine. Cant explain it, guessing back pressure forces open that vent or something but i have hesitantly continued neglecting mine and so far so good. Never have taken it apart or cleaned it, just add more glue when it's empty.
John liked this
By BigRig
I know your problem and in this case would unscrew the locking nut over the suction tube and make sure there is no build up in there. I have tried a few guns and years ago a guy posted about a Husky from Home Depot. I bought it and really like it the best.
John liked this
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: