By info@rocketlightlab.com
I made a panel template, using Ducktape and Glad Press'N Seal, to cut out vinyl pattern that will be glued to panel. I tried stretching and heating the vinyl (4 way stretch fabric backed) but it would not work well around arm rest. I got the duck tape idea from a costume designer. Does anyone have other methods they have tried and worked well?
Attachments
IMG_0134.jpg
IMG_0134.jpg (632.31 KiB) Viewed 4366 times
IMG_0123.JPG
IMG_0123.JPG (1.07 MiB) Viewed 4366 times
IMG_0117.JPG
IMG_0117.JPG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 4366 times
John liked this
By John
Ive never seen anyone use press'nSeal for patterns. Its a good idea! Thanks for sharing.

My go to pattern material is clear vinyl. But on door panels like that i would use 6 or 12 inch transfer tape. You can get it on Amazon https://amzn.to/2QbUURQ

Check out this video. You can learn a lot from it.

Hope this helps!
MalcolmM liked this
By paulad
I’ve only just joined your forum, and as a beginner finding this an incredible resource! John, would you mind expanding on the clear vinyl that you use. Do you use a thickness that has similar properties, ie stretch/thickness to the actual material you’ll be using, or doesn’t that matter so much. Do you perhaps have any links to the product you use? I’m in the UK so probably won’t find the exact same product but good to get a general idea. Thank you!
By John Long
John can add to this when he checks back in. I like to use a clear vinyl like you would use to cover a picnic table or something like that. What I use is a little thinner than a convertible top rear window but still has enough thickness to handle easily. The stretch does not need to be the same as the material you are using. No stretch would be great. You are not going to be stretching it. The purpose for using the clear is to make it easy to mark all the things that will be hidden by card board. (clip holes, window crank posts, etc)

I buy it at a hobby store, Walmart stores here in the states, or fabric stores. The cheaper the better.

John
John liked this
By paulad
Many thanks for your advice. In my situation i was thinking in terms of templating seats rather than a dash or door cards. But I guess the principals are the same. Yes, agree cheap in this scenario is ideal! On the Hog Ring forum Brent Parker mentions that he uses a vinyl to template the seats whilst the old covers are still on, and that he chooses a material similar to the finished product for a good fit. He appears to use ‘solid’ colour vinyl which looks quite fiddly to template as you can’t see through it. But it clearly works for him as his works looks faultless to me. Many roads lead to Rome and all that I guess. Much for me to learn!
John liked this
By John Long
The pattern material is not all that critical. The accuracy is. The reason I like the clear plastic is being able to see through it. That is a good thing whether you are making door panels or seat patterns.

John
miket, John liked this
By John
In the videos I am using 12 gauge clear vinyl. Only because thats the thinnest my local fabric supper has and its easy for me to not make an extra trip. 12 gauge is not necessary and is more expensive. The thinner the gauge the cheaper it will be. You can go all the way down to 4 gauge and you will be fine.
paulad liked this
Forum Rules

@John , Can we Post job listings in this forum[…]

skipped stitch pfaff 1245

I’m probably known to blame timing first b[…]

Alignment problems

Thanks to you both. I tried to document how and wh[…]

Purple Diamonds.

Oh ya, that's a great idea for shows that way you […]