By Shazbaz
Hello
I’m new to this forum and trying to find some advice about how to make a canvas cover for my outdoor woven egg cave, it’s not your typical hanging egg and I have no idea how to work out how to make the pattern or even what shape to make the pattern pieces!
I was thinking about making a half dome first by cutting a circle the same diameter as the widest part of the egg and then making cuts every so far towards the centre of the circle but not all the way, then placing this over the top of the egg and pinning them back together to create the top half of the cover. I could then attach a skirt that would hang down all the way around to cover the bottom half, does this sound like it would work or am I way off with my idea and what would be the best way to measure it? Where would I take the measurements from for the cuts in the circle etc?
I hope my question makes sense but I’ve added a picture if that helps.
Thank you in advance for any help or advice
By fibersport
While I'm new to this too, I would say that your thoughts are probably a good way to make a pattern. The fact that you're making out of canvas should make it easier. I'm working on some Jeep seat skins and I made one out of some free vinyl just to try everything out, maybe you could try the same? How about an old bedsheet so you could fold, cut and either staple or tape together to get the initial shape and then refine as you go?
By JimmieJoe
Are you trying to make a lining to go again the weave, or are you talking about the cushions in the egg.

If making a lining for the weave you will need something like darts in dressmaking to create the 3 D shape.
By WILD BILL
For pattern making complex shapes I like to use dura skrim. You can find it reasonably priced and sized on amazon.

Sailrite uses it it many of there vids if need see how it's usefull.
Available Solana Nodes

I usually use one trusted resource that provides i[…]

The A. Leon Company was first established in 1909 […]

Newbie Pattern Question

Can you glue it on to a piece of cardboard or boat[…]

Boat project

Looks great!