So, I have been trying to sew for the last 3 hours, but all I seem to do it make wads of thread.

On hot rods, if you are going to make adjustments, you start with a known and make incremental adjustments. On my paint gun I run everything down to closed and back them out 2 turns to start with. Is there anything I can do to make adjustments on thread tensions this way?

I thought I had it whooped and it made a nice seam. next time up a rats nest on the bottom side. Good thread, new needles, new matching bobbin. I can't seem to get it close enough to even practice. Very frustrating.

This machine is new to me, (Pfaff 145-H4) hopefully it won't have to go straight to service.
Thanks.

I found a video of how to adjust the tensions, which I did and we were able to get a few practice pieces in. Then we had a new problem. It started breaking the top thread. It breaks it on the first stitch. I can pull the upper thread smoothly with medium drag.

It is forcing me to learn bout the machine, which will eventually pay off. I found a couple of pieces installed incorrectly, which makes me question if this guy was actually using it. I may call some places for service tomorrow and see what they can do. I bought a whole bunch of pre-wound bobbins and thread, I hope the quality is up to the standards of Coats etc.

Thanks,

Root
As a baseline, the thread on the bottom should slide out of the bobbin case if you can hold the thread and use it gently like a mini yoyo... it should move
slightly at the sudden stop and not keep paying out. The top thread should drag heavily with the foot down and it should take just a little force (1-2 lbs) when the foot is up. Fine tune from there... Learn how to set the needle timing on your machine, that will save you tons of grief and money if you can tell if your timing is out.
John liked this
Which parts are suspected to be installed wrong? If it is breaking thread like that, it is probably not tension unless the upper thread is getting caught on something. Since you have had breakage, check that there are no bits if broken thread in the bobbin area, and check/reset saftey clutch. So much of machine repair is sight sound and feel. Cant hear or feel it so posting photos will give us the best chance of solving the problem.

I have mixed the bobbin colors a lot and it doesn'[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: