By Joel Pierson
I'm sometimes getting rats nest on the underside when I come to the end of a line. I'm thinking it must have something to do with how I'm reversing to lock the stitch, but that's just a guess. Any ideas?
By Revv Up
What was the last thing you changed on your machine before this problem started? That thinking has solved a few problems for me.

Look your thread path over good and make sure your spool feeds off easy (I’ve got a couple spools that were wound to tight and are unusable)

Take some time to clean and oil your machine, while your oiling the bottom end check the hook for burs. Make sure you needle is not bent and is the right one and has no glue residue on it from serving through basting tape. If the problem is still there check your hook timing.
Adam12, John liked this
By Kuph
1) I would check thread tension first. Specifically the upper thread tension.
2) check for burrs on the hook. Sometimes burrs could “split” the thread and that leads to similar problems
3) if timing seems ok, check that you have the proper tolerances between the scarf of the needle and the hook.

Great point by the previous post about back tracking to the last time it worked correctly.

Did you change materials? If you were sewing vinyl for example and switched to a light fabric without making a tension adjustment that could be one reason.

What kind of machine is it?
Adam12, John liked this
By Mikesimpson
@Joel Pierson I was having some odd issues like this when I first started out. Turns out I wasn't getting the bobbin case snapped in the machine straight how it needed to be. It was cocked just a little bit and would still allow the machine to work most of the time. But sometimes I would have issues with my back stitch, the machine would feel weird and sort of bind up and occasionally break a needle. I was trying to put the bobbin case back in the machine by just reaching under the machine and putting it in without opening the slider part on the top to see what I was actually doing.

With a vision to empower and inspire our customers[…]

First Project - Cube Stool

Sleek contemporary furniture combined with a neutr[…]

I agree it's usually not a problem but on occasion[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]