By Monica
Hi, I am doing a full interior with diamond inserts in the seats and the side panels. For planning the diamonds, which piece would you start with for calculating diamond size? I have started with the front seat, which of course is not perfectly square and the front seat is a split back and not exactly the same size on each side. I would think the first thing you see looking into the car is the top back of the front seat. Would you pick a diamond size based on the insert sizes, or just a diamond size that I like (I was going to use 3" x 4.5", like the diamonds in the video). I haven't even looked at the door panels yet to figure out the design, I just wanted to take it one piece at a time.
Last edited by Monica on Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Monica
I think I figured it out. Going to get as close as I can on the seats and the rest will follow.
By vicstric
i think the size of the diamonds is kind of a personal taste. but one thing to make sure of is that they are centered correctly within the seat. Make alignment marks and try your best to make the points, or whatever, line up against any straight edges. I do things a little different than what i see most people do. I dont have time or patience to figure how much the pattern will shrink. I layout my diamonds oversized and sew them all with "extra". Then trace my pattern making sure everything is centered how i want it before I cut it out.
John liked this
By John G
My two penny’s worth having just done my door cards would be as others have said work from a centre line out. I would also try flex the size of your design so you can continuously sew multiple lines (eg in a long zig zag) this is far quicker. It would be great if you could get your major panel aligned either through a common centre line or all diamonds finishing at a point.

Hope this is helpful. Keen to see the results.
By John
I usually start with the most visible part first. Usually that's the front seats. Get those ones perfect because you will see them the most. Then I will get all the rest of the diamond panels to be a somewhat close size to the front seats. I make small adjustments to the diamond sizes to get the points to land on the edge of the seam. You wont be able to notice if the diamond sizes a slightly difference from the seats to door panels , ect

That's just how I do it to get all the diamonds looking perfect. Its a bit more work to get all the points to land on seam edges. However most of the diamond interiors you see dont do that and people still like it. It just depends on how much time you have and how perfect the customer wants it done.

I’m not sure what you are using on the edge […]

Top stitch question

I use a shorter stitch (6mm) when joining panels a[…]

Good information. I'm going to check this foam pl[…]

For diamond pattern I just staple the edges about […]