By rdh522
My first auto project was vinyl with faux suede and is turning out pretty good. I have two more jobs lined up after this but both want real leather and suede....is working with leather very different from vinyl, any tips I should know.....does real suede even exist, when I try to look up sources for it I just come up with blogs about people saying that real suede is horrible to use in auto upholstery. Should I explain that to the customer and see if he would be happy with real leather mixed with faux suede? Can anyone give me suggestions for online sources for good leather and/or suede? Thanks
By John
Congrats on all the work you have lined up!

In my opinion working with leather isn't much different that working with vinyl. You do need to be aware of scars on the hide and make sure to plan around them.

Real suede is mostly meant for clothes. You dont want to use it in cars. It will ware out quickly. Most customers that ask for real suede are unintentionally referring to Alcantara because that what the have seen in luxury cars. Alcantara is not real suede it is a brand of high quality synthetic suede.

Hydes leather and Relicate leather carry some of the best leather you can get in north America. It is expensive though. Douglass interior products also have very nice Leather.

I hope this helps!

I have mixed the bobbin colors a lot and it doesn'[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: