By BigRig
I have an open cover that I want to pull over a box like object. I have left salvage to sew the shock cord in but for the life of me have NO idea how I am going to make it so the bottom of the cover has to be stretched out and pulled over the object then tightens back up when on it and underneath the object.

Hard to explain but maybe somebody has some idea how.
By Adam12
If i am imagining this correctly,
Could you sew the shock cord into a pocket on your long edge and then exit and re-enter the next long edge pocket at the corners. Yes hard to explain but my drawing skills rock! :joy:
Which means there will be a bare piece of cord traversing each corners at 45 degrees that could grab underneath the corners of your box...maybe? Some pics of the box you're covering may be helpful
By BigRig
@Adam12 ,

Thank you for the response and I like that. My cover is kinda circular and the bottom of it has to be pulled over the object and the elastic shock cord sewn into the hem will cinch up. I do not want to put a drawstring into this so all has to be contained in the unit fabric. I just have never done this and trying to figure it out.
By John Long
I have never done this either Big Rig. I "think" I would make up my draw cord to the length I wanted it. Splice it so it has the correct stretch for when the cover is installed. Next sew it into the cover while gathering up the material as you are sewing the pocket up. The end result should be, your cover, gathered when off the container but stretched out when installed.

Let us know how it works out.

John
By Adam12
Oh yeah, not sure how to make that work on a curve, hane not done that. John's technique is what i would try if i were faced with it. And if you measure your stretch potential, you could cut the exact length and just mark and sew the ends in pre determined positions.
By Cody
I read and get a mental image of like a round cushion that slides over the poles in weight room equipment? Mainly for machines that you work your legs out on? Not the exact thing but is it similar in shape? I know those have a lot of folds and puckers on them?

I would get the cord so it’s at its max stretch when it’s just slips over the object. That way it can only go tighter from there.
By BigRig
@Cody,

Thanks to you all on here I got it and max stretch is about how it has to be any shorter and it is not going over. @Adam12 I really appreciate you drawing that out and am going to use that when needed. @John Long , your full of knowladge.
John, miket liked this
By John
Sorry I'm late to this party... What I would do is sew the shock cord in to the hem but leave the last few inches not sewn. Then you can take the shock cord and pit the where you want it to be and then tie a know. You could also install the cover then pull the shock cord to the tightness you want it and tie it. After then you can come back and finish sewing the last few inches of hem .

Hope this helps.
John Long, miket liked this

With a vision to empower and inspire our customers[…]

First Project - Cube Stool

Sleek contemporary furniture combined with a neutr[…]

I agree it's usually not a problem but on occasion[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]