By Mike Mo
A lot of classic 50s cars had hand pull-up "ropes" that ran across the back of the front seat. My 50 Olds has one and all that remains is the chain that was inside the rubber tubing that was the original hand hold. This tubing was upholstered in the same type material the seats were covered in. My question...how do you sew a cover for this? By hand? By machine and turning the tube sewn inside out(seems impossible to me, or just how is this cover sewn? Thanks
By Mikesimpson
I made some for a 50s Buick a couple of years ago and used the machine method you mentioned. Getting it turned right side out is definitely tricky but its doable just requires a little trial and error. You can put a little silicone spray on the tube when you pull it on to make it slide a little easier. This might not be the right way to do it, but it worked for me and looked nice.
By Revv Up
When I make a tube like that I sew a length of paracord on one end to feed through first….. to give me something to pull the rest through
By Mike Mo
Great ideas! I'll surely try that...silicone prayers. I also thought about folding/ ironing edges and using weatherstrip glue to just glue the cover on, edge to edge...gonna try the sew inside out method first, though...well, see ya later.
By Mike Mo
I actually thought of a way to make the turning the cover inside-out much easier...and it works! I sewed the cover around the hand hold tube with a piping or zipper foot on the machine. Then I sewed two lengths of braided twine on one end of the cover across from each other. Then I fed both lengths of twine back through the inside of the tube and pulled the cover back through the inside of the tube to turn it inside-out. This isn't easy, but it works. Also, you then use the lengths of twine to pull the sewn tube of upholstery over the length of the hand hold tube. Ah, necessity!
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: