By hobo
John i am working with a client that has an airplane that he would like to update. I noticed on your video of the Beech-craft you used sew foam was that regular sew foam or fire resistant? The FAA rules are a mixed bag of confusion I will use fire certified fabric but was not sure about foams was thinking I might use some landau foam on some side panels if it is allowed under FAA rules.
By John
I am actually currently working with Douglass Interior Products to make some videos that answer these exact questions! I dont know either. Its all very confusing. On that plane I used what the customer asked me to use.

In the mean time I recommend you reach out to Douglass Interior Products because they will be better able to correctly answer your questions.
By BigRig
@hobo , in my neck of the woods you have to use FR sew foam and FR everything aside from thread. @airplane guy any USA suggestions from your way?
By hobo
Went to our local airport spoke to those in charge they said that the outer fabric must be fire resistant with certs but all substrates do not require any treatment or certs. Sounds like poor logic but look who is making the rules. I checked with one of my suppliers they said they can send any fabric to a place in NC and have fire resistant treatment applied, then you send sample for testing and certification.
By BigRig
@hobo, from my understanding the only supplier for Flame Resistant material right now is Douglas Interiors.
John liked this
By Paul
@hobo The Beechcraft is the type of plane (small enough and old enough) that you could get away with most automotive-grade foams rather than the more expensive aerospace grade foams. Bramport Supply has some foams that should work Check out Galaxy Foam: https://bramportsupply.com/products/com ... alaxy-foam which will be cheaper than something like DAX foam (which Bramport also carries). Also feel free to call Aeroblaze Laboratory if you need help with particular regulations. (Full disclosure I work for Bramport/Aeroblaze sometimes).

Paul
www.bramportsupply.com
www.aeroblazelabs.com
John liked this
By airplane guy
I’m a little late to the party, but all of your material needs to be fire blocked. Not just the outer shell. Be very careful in this area listening to airplane owners. When it goes south, it’s your rear end that the FAA will come after along with the mechanic who signed your work off. I have been doing aviation work for 20 years and I have seen it to many times.
John liked this
By BigRig
@airplane guy ,

Advice taken and what I did, I found the materials I worked with were very good quality. The foams especially were higher grade than my usual auto stuff. Guys want to work on small aircraft make sure your body is able to bend over backwards and you can scrunch into a ball. Also add a LOT of patience into that mix.
John liked this

I don’t think the bobbin color matters as mu[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: