By davemac2
Smooooth wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:57 am
davemac2 wrote: When I search for these machines, I search under all kinds of titles.
Great point to bring out for sure!!! (Should be a sticky of some sort)

Lots of flexibility in searching.

Main terms I 'started' with are:
Industrial Sewing
Commercial Sewing
Heavy Sewing
Leather Sewing (you might be surprised what shows up)
Lol. How funny. I've never used 'Commercial Sewing' as a search. Just did on Offerup search with that and up popped a Nakajima 280L walking foot machine a few miles from my house! The ad did not even state it was a walking foot or a Nakjima, but the pic which had the model # did. So there you go. The search terms can make a big difference for these.
John liked this
By IvanD
@davemac2
I didn't know about OfferUp.. And sure enought there is Seiko branded Consew 226R for sale and guy willing to do it for $200. Clutch motor, but still. I don't know why I need second one but for some reason I think I should get it.
By IvanD
Ok, guys. You responsible for $200 out of my pocket. Machine is definitely needs some TLC. If I knew it would fit into my table I would live table it came with. Now I need to figure out how to dispose of it. It's rusted and top is bent. I may restore bottom though because it's old school and seems sturdy. But clutch motor will have to go.
IMG_2574.jpg
IMG_2574.jpg (53.27 KiB) Viewed 9443 times
Smooooth liked this
By Bondo497
I'm just being inquisitive, since I've been interested in this craft I have studied sewing machines and I was wondering if the Singer was the benchmark for all others since they all look like singers with different names and different origins of birth?
By IvanD
@Smooooth Yes, my primary machine is PFAFF 1245, very nice but this one have "soul" it seems and I will have to figure it out.

Just for the info, what I know..
Singer licensed manufacturing to Japanese companies.
Seiko was making Consew machines until they moved production to China. 206RB-5 made in China. There is still same Seiko made in Japan though (STH-8BLD). Consew 226R is exact same machine as this Seiko I got. Not copy. They were made at the same factory, same time just labeled differently.
Consew 226R is the same as 225 but with reverse.
Consew 225/226 is very similar (same??) as 206RB but with smaller bobbin. It was a "thing" when they were sold initially to mod them with big bobbin/shuttle. Some dealers did that.

This machine is a clone/descendant of Singer 111 just like Juki 562/563 and some others. John got 562 (smaller bobbin) and it looks like our machines pretty much the same.

It doesn't sew great, skips stitches. Filthy, needs cleaning and most likely adjusting. I don't see anything really wrong with it but it's not working either. After some TLC it should be a good backup. To be honest I don't know why I bought it. I'm glad it mounts in my current table perfectly with a same belt and I don't have to worry about second table yet.

When I said "warped top" - yes, I ment table of course. So, will see where it goes. Right now it's just a fun/hobby project to get it cleaned and running. Maybe I will dial it to do top stitching with 138 thread.
By Bondo497
Thanks everyone for your insight and descriptive explanation on this subject. I'm into old iron and collect mechanical things so next time I have a few extra bucks I may snag a "clone" or two.
John liked this
By IvanD
Just a quick update. After I got this Seiko I realized I have 1 table and 2 heads. Had to fix that. Table which came with machine had really sturdy/solid frame also old/rusted. And top was bent. So, I got butcher block from a friend and went to make new table. Legs sent for sandblasting, will repaint in black. Going to install nice servo motor on this new table and probably use this table with my PFAFF machine. Will have my current table with basic servo for this Seiko head..

Progress of top making. Glued some veneer to cover edges. 2 hours drilling/routing and I got it all done. Will cut belt slit later on when I get all together and machine mounted. Finishing of top will consist of stain/poly, but that will be after I have it all together, adjusted, etc. Will take it apart for sanding/finishing.

Add description
Add description
IMG_2707.jpg (345.44 KiB) Viewed 9395 times
Add description
Add description
IMG_2706.jpg (841.57 KiB) Viewed 9395 times
Add description
Add description
IMG_2705.jpg (420.13 KiB) Viewed 9395 times
John liked this
By IvanD
@Jayscanvas
Yep. It’s total nonsense from financial standpoint. I paid $100 to sandblast old frame. It’s going to be mine and personal with a story behind. But no savings here. And I got fancy 1100 watt servo coming in.. not cheap either.
John liked this
By IvanD
Table legs in progress. They got 2 layers of primer now ready for paint. Weather is not cooperating in MO to spray outside so I'm waiting for at least 40F to do final layer.
Add description
Add description
IMG_2712.jpg (505.93 KiB) Viewed 9329 times
Add description
Add description
IMG_2711.jpg (593.38 KiB) Viewed 9329 times
John liked this
By jdenison89
Just purchased a new Adler 867 Eco. Ive worked with a Consew 206rb1 for a while and a juki. Going to put this one through its paces and see what it can do. Should receive it in about a week.
Available Solana Nodes

Do you know where I can find available Solana node[…]

Newbie Pattern Question

If you use one of those large straight edges they […]

Boat project

Looks great!

When it comes to fine furniture store waterloo ,[…]