General discussions about our craft and industry.
By vicstric
Hi All!
I have been thinking about upgrading to a true industrial machine. I have been using an LS-1 from Sailrite. I can't complain about the maching and i do like that it is portable. Not so much to carry around but so I can store it in a small space when I an not working on anything. I have done quite a few projects with it and think i could sell for close to what I paid for it. It has decent power, surprising actually, and it has pretty controllable low speed. I would like more room under the arm and a higher foot lift.

The only thing holding me back really is wondering if I will gain a lot for giving up semi-permanant garage space. Will a machine with a triple feed give me better stitching and/or better results?

I have been watching craigslist, facebook market place and Offer Up. When a decent looking machine comes along, it is almost as expensive as buying a new one.

What are you guy's and gal's thoughts about an upgrade?
miket liked this
By John
I think its a no brainier. You have been doing a lot of work and am impressed you were able to do it all on that small machine. The quality of your work will certainly increase with a full size industrial.You will have less headaches and mistakes. I dont feel they take up that much garage space. What I do is put 2 harbor freight dollies under the feet when not in use and move it out of the way easily.

I just came out with the "Sewing Machine Buyers Guide" it walks you through all the steps of choosing and purchasing the right machine for you.
You can find it in your apprentice course when you log-in.

hope this helps
vicstric, MalcolmM liked this
By Adam12
When you get your big industrial, you'll realize how much you were handicapping yourself with the sailrite. If you choose to buy new, you'll do yourself a big favor by using a reputable dealer rather than trying to save a few bucks on ebay. Service and support go a long way. And vic...pfaff 545 is a KILLER machine.
vicstric liked this
By Blucher
vicstric wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:55 pm any feedback for a pfaff 545?
I've never used one, but I understand they're great machines. Good luck finding one. I looked for a long time without success.

I ended up getting an Adler 67-GK373, which is a lot like the Pfaff 145, which has a smaller bobbin than the 545.
vicstric liked this
By OldschoolFE
I just came across a PFAFF 545 and PFAFF 145. I can buy them both for $600 total... They had belonged to a guy who did upholstery all the time. He died a few years back and his family is selling them... I am just getting started, this sounds like a killer deal to me.... thoughts?
John liked this
By Revv Up
I had a Phaff 145 and it was a great machine and around here you would expect that to be worth the $600 so it would be a 2 for 1 deal. I would jump on it and sell one of them off.
By John
@OldschoolFE That is a crazy good deal for those 2 machines as long as they are in working order! I would buy that before someone offers them more money. They could easily get $600+ per machine.
OldschoolFE liked this
By John
LOL I'm jealous. I dont need any more machines but at that price I would have bought them. Glad you were able to find such a good deal!
By OldschoolFE
Thanks.. I never would have thought I would have found a deal like that.. The PFAFF 545 is an H4 which what I hear is even better.. The PFAFF 145 is nice as well. I might just get them both setup and decide later if I want to sell the 145.. Plus the folks are giving me tons of foam and padding they had.. I am happy.. I am hoping starting on a machine like these and using the videos, I will get a better start to upholstery ..
By John
Those machines will definitely give you a better start. You may want to consider purchasing a servo motor to make it easier for you to learn on.
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: