Anything about sewing machines and the tools we use.
Hi guys, Do you all have a favorite oiler/oil bottle that you find works best for oiling your machines? And do you have a favorite oil that you use?
thanks
By souperdoo
My machine has a central wicking system and a bath for the bottom end but, for adding a drop here and there, I really like this 50 or 60-year-old PFAFF bottle.

There is nothing special about the bottle itself, but at the base of the spout is a wee bit of open-cell foam. This allows you to squeeze out one drop at a time. I have also used needle oilers and they are pretty good, but I like this one better. Maybe just because it is old.

As for oil I just use a good, basic sewing machine oil. Juki says I should be using their Defrix oil, but what I have is regular SM oil and comes in a quart bottle labelled "Sewing Machine Oil". Honestly, I think this stuff is just ordinary mineral oil, paraffin oil, baby oil with no smell. Even though I have a whole shelf full of lotions and potions, I don't get too spun up on the machine's oil beyon that it be decent quality, clean, and appropriately applied.
Michelle_Trillium, John liked this
By Tourmax
I use something called a "precision oiler":

You press the top like a ball point pen and it extends the tip, which forms a drop of oil on it. Then you touch it to whatever you want to oil and the droplet transfers from the tip to whatever you touch.

Available at most autoparts stores....
John, souperdoo liked this
By John
I use the small squeeze bottles also. You want to use either oil from the manufacture or mineral oil sold at most upholstery supply stores.

@Tourmax Thats awesome! I have never seen those before. Thanks for sharing.
Michelle_Trillium liked this

I’m not sure what you are using on the edge […]

Top stitch question

I use a shorter stitch (6mm) when joining panels a[…]

Good information. I'm going to check this foam pl[…]

For diamond pattern I just staple the edges about […]