By ctmk2
@Matt Hamblin

Thanks for the reply!

I totally agree on the missing/broken parts comment! I’ve done maybe 15-20 tops over the years and newer vehicles don’t scare me nearly as much as the old stuff that’s lived a lifetime!

I actually tell anyone that calls me in the spring for a “non emergency” top replacement on an old car to call me in the fall and we’ll do it then. Too many times I’ve taken a top off to find the frames bent, header bow is rotted or something is missing and not available… I hate to see anyone miss a summer of driving because we can’t get the parts.

I will say, given the option I would totally choose robbins over any other company… I’ve had very good luck with robbins tops, the jury is still out on EZ-on at the moment, however, it was the only top in stock for this car.

I gave the option to wait for a robbins, and said I’ve never used ez-on… but the old top was totally held together by duct tape and trash bags!

When I first cut the rear window out

After, some working the top around by hand, looks a little better but certainly not 100% (don’t mind the residual tape glue on the window)

Matt Hamblin liked this
By Ddedman
I forgot that I never followed up on this post. I was able to complete this top and the customer was happy. Don't have a rear facing photo. One rear window quarter had a small wrinkle in it when done. (I couldn't get it to lay out). Since then the spring sun has mostly tightened things up.
Matt Hamblin liked this
Top stitch question

So my seam is 6 and the top is 8. I used the same […]

Good information. I'm going to check this foam pl[…]

For diamond pattern I just staple the edges about […]

Furniture store

When seeking replacement furniture, consider your […]