By miket
So I have watched 2 Sailrite videos in which they used 2 different methods to accommodate the angle of the bows.
I am leaning towards the 3 bow example where he measured the circumference of the bow where the material enters and exits using a string line. However in the video he does not allow for the tubing when sewing zippers to the top. Not sure if that was a mistake but in the 4 bow example he does. He also allows an inch in the middle pocket where as in the 4 bow he allows 1/2"
So I am a little confused. Anyone care to share their method?

Thanks
By miket

Sewing @ 1:22:01

As you see in the 1st video they moved the zipper back before sewing and the 2nd video they did not.
Also the 1st video he came up with 2 1/4" total and the 2nd video he allowed only 5/8 on the ends.
I see in the 2nd video he added 5/8" of material to the curve where on the 1st video they did not add material but moved it back before sewing. Not seeing how both methods could be used in the same application.

I have emailed Sailrite for clarification but have not received a reply.

Thanks for looking @John
By John
Hey @miket I'm really sorry I still don't really understand what your asking. I have done a few biminis before but In not a canvas expert like Jay and John From boat canvas university. I never had any trouble just sewing on a zipper pocket. Check out boat canvas university on youtube. He has some good videos.
By miket
So I tried the method shown in the 2nd video and was not pleased with my results.
The inside pockets were nice and tight most of the way but the very ends had some slack material. You can see it in the 1st pic at the bottom corner. Not too bad but one of my measurements is obviously off.
I will be doing John's method on the next attempt.
Attachments
20181109_133233.jpg
20181109_133233.jpg (500.99 KiB) Viewed 13139 times
20181109_133127.jpg
20181109_133127.jpg (151.07 KiB) Viewed 13139 times
By Jayscanvas
boat canvas university
His method is the easiest and fastest i use on every Bimini trust me it worth it just sign up for the month to month membership for one month and watch the hell out of every video. You will pay for the class on the first hour of the first Bimini you do
John liked this
By miket
I have the boat canvas university bimini video.
Jayscanvas wrote:Your top looks good as is to be honest. Keep up the good work
Thanks Jay!
It actually looked a lot better than I thought it would but I was not happy with the loose pocket ends.
I have Boatcanavas university bimini video and will use his pocket technique when I redo it.
By miket
I couldn't get a good pic of the inside because it was too dark but it basically starts half way down the bend and gets wider as it goes down. If that makes sense.
There was close to an inch of extra material at all four corners.
I pulled the pocket corner an inch further in and readjusted the whole bend area and that made the middle loose. Looking back if I had only adjusted the pocket halfway up the bend it may have worked.
By miket
Been a while since I had the time to see but I'm back at it now.
Here is my 2nd attempt. This time I used John's method from BCU.
Much easier and nicer result.
I still need to practice but it is getting there.
Attachments
20190313_124339.jpg
20190313_124339.jpg (422.95 KiB) Viewed 12968 times
20190313_124350.jpg
20190313_124350.jpg (393.5 KiB) Viewed 12968 times
20190313_124358.jpg
20190313_124358.jpg (525.88 KiB) Viewed 12968 times
John liked this
By miket
I'm pretty sure the wrinkles going down the side was a patterning error. I brought the seam line around to the side on the radius, instead of in the front like the rest of the bow.
Looks good enough I'm moving on to the enclosure now.
By John
Looks great! Thanks for sharing the pictures! Cant wait to see the enclosure. Also that looks like a beautiful plot of land you live on there.
miket liked this
By miket
Thanks John. I do appreciate the comments, it keeps me from getting frustrated. I can be a little impatient with myself.
I lived in neighboorhoods all my life and decided it wasn't for me. The shed in the background is my work shop. I built that also. My body is telling me that kind of work is no longer conducive to my longevity so here I am sewing! :grinning:

I agree it's usually not a problem but on occasion[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: